Main Menu

Why no Monster Munch? Splundig Vur Thrigg!

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 23 November, 2013, 11:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

All Fleetway annuals in 1984 had a Monster Munch ad on the back - apart from 2000ad and Judge Dredd.

Why?

Was it because IPC thought it was inappropriate? Or Monster Munch? At the time 2000ad was mega big in terms of sales. I don't believe it was kindness or a fous on the greatness of the prog over commercial demands. So, why?
Lock up your spoons!

JamesC

I can't remember annuals ever having ads for anything!
Maybe it was an experiment or something that didn't work out?

maryanddavid

Only the juvenile annuals carried the ad, like buster Whizzer and Chips etc.
The boys and girls annuals e.g. Misty, Valiant and Battle didn't. Presumably the ad was only sold to the Juvenile dept. It is a bit of an oddity, and one that would be at odds with VAT rules, certainly this side of the water.

Fungus

Are you using IPC and Fleetwau interchangeably?  My gut instinct is that IPC preceded Fleetway but I'm not a prog historian (the pay's terrible).
Probably 'adventure' comics were considered apart from 'funny' comics -- different rules.
You have reminded me of the Bubblicious prog. Dredd cover, roughly '82/'83? My juve brain knew that was wrong even at those trnder years.

maryanddavid

Fungus

A.Cow

As I understand it, Fleetway was a magazine company that was taken over by IPC.  However, IPC continued to use the Fleetway branding on selected products, a bit like Kraft/Mondelez do with Terry's Chocolate Orange.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: A.Cow on 25 November, 2013, 05:10:33 AM
As I understand it, Fleetway was a magazine company that was taken over by IPC.  However, IPC continued to use the Fleetway branding on selected products, a bit like Kraft/Mondelez do with Terry's Chocolate Orange.

Feck! So it's not really Terry's?  You've just ruined Christmas, pal.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.