Main Menu

The Four Dark Judges... Plus nine more?

Started by ming, 11 February, 2014, 08:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Admittedly the designs are great.

I don't think it's slating so much as amused surprise (personally anyway, I don't care either way, it just made me chuckle). Nine new characters is a lot, it seems there should be a good reason for each of them.

I'm not sure sleep is an actual cause of injury or death on the whole though. Judge Tsetse, perhaps...?

Beeks

Quote from: Jon on 11 February, 2014, 03:54:27 PM

I'm not sure sleep is an actual cause of injury or death on the whole though. Judge Tsetse, perhaps...?

I've got two kids under 4 years old, personally i'd welcome Judge Sleep with open arms
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

TordelBack

Some ingenious hilarity on this thread!  :D

However, as we've already seen 8 Dark Judges in the core strip, what's 5 more between friends?  I'm obviously including Kraken/Dredd, Phobia, Nausea and Hysteria here, only somewhat tongue-in-cheek with the last one. 

More seriously, with those precedents you could plausibly go all Greek spirits who are the personification of causes of death / on the concept, and have Adephagia (death by gluttony), Lupe (death by grief),  Judges Himeros (death by lust),  Dolos (death by trickery), Ate (death by delusion), Aregia (death by sloth) and Ania (death by pain).  It's all a bit cenobitey, but there's plenty of scope to move beyond fire, decay, terror, more terror, sickess and madness.

Teivion

Heh- me too, much more fun than In The Night Garden ;-)

Its funny that seeing as Death is always held as the Most Popular Villain/ story, how many people actually on here don't seem to agree.
As has been mentioned before, their names alone seem too convenient, but that doesn't seem any less believable than a city full of apes......;-)

Teivion

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 February, 2014, 04:31:49 PM
Some ingenious hilarity on this thread!  :D

However, as we've already seen 8 Dark Judges in the core strip, what's 5 more between friends?  I'm obviously including Kraken/Dredd, Phobia, Nausea and Hysteria here, only somewhat tongue-in-cheek with the last one. 

More seriously, with those precedents you could plausibly go all Greek spirits who are the personification of causes of death / on the concept, and have Adephagia (death by gluttony), Lupe (death by grief),  Judges Himeros (death by lust),  Dolos (death by trickery), Ate (death by delusion), Aregia (death by sloth) and Ania (death by pain).  It's all a bit cenobitey, but there's plenty of scope to move beyond fire, decay, terror, more terror, sickess and madness.

GENIUS- You get my vote for clever-sod-of-the-year-so-far

ming

Quote from: Jon on 11 February, 2014, 03:54:27 PMI'm not sure sleep is an actual cause of injury or death on the whole though.

As you say, Sleep is not the most terrifying concept for a Dark Judge, but when combined with his Dark Brethren, Grumpy and Sneezy, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Anyway, as Tordelback indicates, there is still potential for expanding the Dark Judges beyond what we've seen before, and I much prefer the idea of those he listed to Sleep and Choke.  I could see Adephagia and Dolos working particularly well...

blackmocco

And pretty telling it took someone on here no time at all to come up with a far superior idea then what we're seeing.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JayzusB.Christ

I suppose when you think about it, it is quite a novel concept:  A resurrected, immortal dead man with special powers, accompanied by twelve trusted followers who help him judge everyone else.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dudley

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 February, 2014, 04:52:12 PM
I suppose when you think about it, it is quite a novel concept:  A resurrected, immortal dead man with special powers, accompanied by twelve trusted followers who help him judge everyone else.

Judge Zombie Jesus?  *applause*

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 February, 2014, 04:52:12 PM

Nice.  I'd expect no less from you, Jayzus.

Frank

you could plausibly go all Greek spirits who are the personification of causes of death / on the concept, and have Adephagia (death by gluttony), Lupe (death by grief),  Judges Himeros (death by lust),  Dolos (death by trickery), Ate (death by delusion), Aregia (death by sloth) and Ania (death by pain).  It's all a bit cenobitey, but there's plenty of scope to move beyond fire, decay, terror, more terror, sickess and madness.

Is it too late to let TordelBack write the comic instead? Many thanks for a read which had me pissing myself with laughter, guys - by which I mean you lot, not IDW.

Eamonn Clarke

A Fistula is an abnormal connection between one part of the body and another. Anyone who has had the misfortune to suffer from an anal fistula will attest to their nastiness. By the time they get to the stage shown in the IDW illustration it's probably time to consult a doctor.

Greg M.