Main Menu

The Four Dark Judges... Plus nine more?

Started by ming, 11 February, 2014, 08:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Quote from: Recrewt on 13 February, 2014, 01:28:16 PM
Ignoring the cost implications of trying to release a US comic that is wider than normal, if they had done this then I believe they would have had a lot more appealing product.

I've been told a few times by US folk that the non-uniform size of the prog puts both stores and punters off 2000 AD so I understood why IDW did it, I mean it looks horrible but if punters will flat out refuse to buy stuff that isn't standard size then it would be suicide.

Spaceghost

Quote from: sheldipez on 13 February, 2014, 02:41:58 PM
I've been told a few times by US folk that the non-uniform size of the prog puts both stores and punters off 2000 AD.

Imagine the minds of these people. Being put off from buying a comic, not because of the content, just because it's a different size to all the other comics they have.

Utterly moronic.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dandontdare

I know - people will be complaining about spines not matching on the bookshelf next!  ;)

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Spaceghost on 13 February, 2014, 02:47:01 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 13 February, 2014, 02:41:58 PM
I've been told a few times by US folk that the non-uniform size of the prog puts both stores and punters off 2000 AD.

Imagine the minds of these people. Being put off from buying a comic, not because of the content, just because it's a different size to all the other comics they have.

Utterly moronic.

I've never heard this...

In fact, every comic store I go to has a section for magazine-sized comics (which used to be all the rage in the US for a long time). The problem is cost and availability*...and, I think, the sheer amount of back issues to sort through. Imagine pondering whether or not to start reading a comic at issue 1700!!!

*It costs me less to have the progs shipped from the UK to me (thank you SBT and Davey Candlish) than it does to buy them in shops here.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 February, 2014, 03:05:14 PM
I know - people will be complaining about spines not matching on the bookshelf next!  ;)

Now then, spines are a WHOLE different matter.

Professor Bear

I had it on good authority that the size was problematic for the collectors and smaller stores who would be the primary owners of progs because correct-sized plastic coverings - so that the comics could be obsessively cataloged and stored in back-issue racks and basements - were harder to procure, as they had to use magazine-sized polybags, and even then the books were wider so they threw off the feng shui or something, or at the least necessitated making more shelf space and my impression has been that the only thing the vast majority of comics stores employees hate more then customers is having to do work.

I missed the start of this thread so apologies for asking, but was this some sort of competition to design new villains for Dredd to fight that IDW ran in the US?  It reminds me of that time Dr Who ran a similar competition and the episode turned out okay and even had funny jokes about someone condemned to a living death as a paving slab that gave blowjobs, which I am sure was what the 8 year-old competition winner was thinking of when he designed the monster.

hippynumber1

No competition, unfortunately it's all too real... I recommend you go back and read from pg1, there's some real chuckles along the way!

Goaty

Wait a minute, 9 more Dark Judges? is that overkill or sold out?

NapalmKev

Nine isn't enough. I was hoping there would be N-N-N-Nineteen!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Tiplodocus

You know, in a sense, we are ALL Dark Judges.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Alfaro

At this rate it'll be over 9000!!!

Sent from my brain.
@DJ_AlphaT

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

James Stacey

W. R. Logan

Have IDW been reading old 2000AD Annuals?

Spaceghost

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 19 February, 2014, 06:57:18 PM
Have IDW been reading old 2000AD Annuals?

I like the little cobweb on his bollocks. Little touches like that are what's missing from the IDW designs.