Main Menu

GOTHAM.

Started by strontium71, 12 February, 2014, 08:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Sorry that no-one likes it, I will kept watch it, as enjoy first episode.

It can be slow burn at first.

JamesC

Quote from: Bear McBear on 15 October, 2014, 12:21:57 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 14 October, 2014, 10:43:49 AMI honestly think the whole thing is supposed to be tongue in cheek and that people are reading it too seriously.

You can look at the list of Gotham's forebears like CSI Miami/New York, NCIS, or Cold Case to see that Gotham isn't a commentary, parody or reaction to anything, it's just another entry in an established sub-genre of the cop procedural where grittiness is ramped up to hide ridiculous plotting and thin characters.  Shows like Forever, Bones, Castle, Elementary, The Glades, Psych - these are the real parodies of the kind of po-faced murder panto that Gotham is just another poor example of.

Sorry, I just don't see a show featuring a vigilante that disposes of villians by means of balloon as 'po-faced'.

Professor Bear

Nor would I - but we would be in the minority because Gotham wants you to take it seriously.
A child rips out a man's eyes causing his friend to shoot him to death, Penguin stabs a jock in the throat with a broken beer bottle and kills a fisherman for his sandwich - these are ludicrous extremes, but they aren't meant to be funny any more than Horatio Caine's one-liners.

Satanist

Quote from: Bear McBear on 15 October, 2014, 01:05:45 PM
... but they aren't meant to be funny any more than Horatio Caine's one-liners.

Sounds like you can hardly ***dons sunglasses*** BEAR to watch this!

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dandontdare

ooh - shabby behaviour changing your username just so somebody's pun doesn't work!  :D

Pop Culture Bandit

Bit late jumping onto this one, but here's my review for the pilot episode:

Episode 1x01 - "Pilot"
http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2014/10/review-gotham-1x01-pilot.html

Fungus

Quote from: Pop Culture Bandit on 20 October, 2014, 02:12:28 PM
Bit late jumping onto this one, but here's my review for the pilot episode:

Episode 1x01 - "Pilot"
http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2014/10/review-gotham-1x01-pilot.html
Just watched episode 1 and am very impressed. The only (very) minor glitch for me was Harvey's overacting, everything else was done with a great sense of fun, and the repurposing of the (many!) familiar characters was done very confidently. An ongoing hunt for the Wayne murderer could well tie it all together as you say, not something I gave a hoot about as the story bounced along. Great stuff.

Tiplodocus

Drokk it! Missed the first episode because I was away and it isn't on DEMAND5. Is it available anywhere else?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 October, 2014, 12:42:39 PM
Drokk it! Missed the first episode because I was away and it isn't on DEMAND5. Is it available anywhere else?

http://www.channel5.com/shows/gotham/episodes/pilot-23

Tiplodocus

Doh! Thanks Goaty. Didn't think to check the normal website if it wasn't available on Demand5.

Proudhuff

I think this would work if they would only trust the audience. The script seems to be layering it on with a trowel even when info's being spelt out in big neon letters on screen and someone is Semaphoring like mad in the background, trope on top of trope with more easter eggs than caburyland in April.

The mix of past /present grates as well: the bullpen has 80's computer, 50s cops and current phones, the alleyways have monster wheelie bins and cartoon topcat ones (but only for bashing people) and don't get me started on the Juvies... :D

Apart from that I liked it.
Mrs Lincoln
DDT did a job on me

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I think I would enjoy this show a lot more if it would stop insisting I take it seriously
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

We're about three episodes in and I don't think I like it.

There's some solid stuff in there but not enough to really yank my chain (batman easter eggs don't count!)

Jim Gordon is quite dull and I'd almost rather just watch the Penguin's rise to power. (Carol Kane was hilarious as his mum).

Fontwell Magma

What's pissing me off most about it is the totally unbelievable motives of some of the characters. Penguin just seems to have no reason to murder a bunch of people in cold blood, when other moments he is a total wimp. Is that what penguin is supposed to be like? If so, he still annoys me.

Gordon can't also be the only good moralled person on the force..  I get that this is basically the point they are making but again it makes it seem unbelievable that everyone else is a grade A douche.

I'll give it a few more episodes. Hopefully it will stop irritating me because I want to like it so bad.

auxlen

I'm surprised people are so negative. i actually quite like it. if anything I think it has that silly factor silly. The helium balloons anyone? mr Nigma?

the penguin steals the show though ( and I like the over the top violence). he's a wimp when he needs to be. when he sees the opportunity to kill easily he takes it.