Main Menu

Prog 1923: Get Me Savage!

Started by JamesC, 21 March, 2015, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Cover - I like the colours on this but the character image seems a little undefined.

Droid Life - Suiitably amusing.

Dredd - I really enjoyed this fun one off story. The art by Carl Critchlow is fantastic.

3rillers: 1% - Another successful 3 part story. I really enjoyed this one, it was really weird and had an eerie atmosphere but was still clear and easy to follow. I really like the art too.

Survival Geeks - A decent ending to a fun strip. I wouldn't go so far as to say I find this strip funny but it's an easy and enjoyable read.

Twisted Tales - These aren't really my cup of tea. I'm not sure this qualifies as an actual story but the art is nice.

Savage - Another satisfying ending as Bill decides to fight on abroad. The drawing of Mr Ten Percent on page five is brilliant.

A decent prog all in all. I'm really looking forward to Strontium Dog and Grey Area next week.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Nice enough, always enjoy Percival's stuff.

Droid Life: Meh.

Dredd: I agree, Carl Critchlow is fantastic.  Suitably mental Mega City madness!

3rillers: Didn't really do a great deal for me....definitely not a fan of the art, and the tale itself was okay, but nothing special.

Survival Geeks: Ending with some really nice panels, and the art as a whole just being luvverly.  Amusing enough fluff I'd happily see return.

Twisted Tales: Some of these are great, some are a bit confusing in the layout.  This leaned toward the latter, but was an enjoyable enough wee one hit.

Savage: And it's over....but not how I'd have liked. :( When I saw the full page of past 'quips', I kinda hoped it was building up to a car bomb or something, but no joy.  So we're gonna see him in Europe now...brilliant.  Goddard's normally lovely art kinda stuttered on that last page for me .....but otherwise I liked his take on the design of Quartz.

Look forward to more Orlok next week....wonder if it's Lynch again?  Hopefully Slaine won't be a 12 part tale of him going for a walk this time...;)

A decent prog all in all. I'm really looking forward to Strontium Dog and Grey Area next week.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Well before we start who knew that band off of the Lumia Advert were a real band. Bloody hell thats kinda sad. I just assumed they were what Microsoft thought a cool band would be like. In the way they think IE is what a good browser is like. Very informative Damage Report.

Alas the rest of the Prog isn't as interesting. A solid Dredd, far from inspiring. Survival Geeks ends as expected. Bob Byrne's Twisted Tale didn't move me at all, I used to love these, the last couple though, not so good. Savage, well last week I said that would have been a good ending, well it would have. This weeks feels a bit superflous.

3riller 1% is by far the best thing in the Prog satisfying end to a lovely little story.

I guess the best thing that can be said about a slightly poor filler Prog (especially when you consider how good the last run of stories was) is that it whets ya appertite for the relaunch Prog next week. Looks like there's good stuff on the horizon.

IndigoPrime

Cover: Looked murky to me in print. Just a blob from a distance. Unlikely to draw the eye.

Dredd: Lots of fun, with its knowing nod to MC1's wackier criminals.

3rillers: Yep, I'm liking these a lot. They work nicely as stretched-out Future Shocks and also as a means to try out ideas for a possible series. They're still tight, but not as restrictive as the Future Shock format.

Survival Geeks: I get the flippant and smug criticisms and even agree to a certain extent, but I enjoyed this run. I'd happily read more. The art was really great too.

Twisted Tales: None of these have really ever grabbed me, but they're decent enough filler.

Savage: Well, of course it was never going to be an actual ending, but this run's been pretty decent, despite the fact it always feels the need to be contrarian.

Next issue: Dredd/Strontium Dog/Sláine/Grey Area/Orlok. Looks good. Here's hoping S/D rediscovers some of its magic.

Frank

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 March, 2015, 01:15:01 PM

Shouldn't Quartz's boastful declaration have a comma in it?

also, that must be the first (and surely the last) time a 2000ad cover line has referenced the 1986 Lucasfilm Howard The Duck movie

I, Cosh

That is one truly awful cover. Why draw his body as if it's a face?
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 March, 2015, 02:16:11 PM
That is one truly awful cover. Why draw his body as if it's a face?
How is the body a face?

A.Cow

Cover: Too much brain.

Droid Life: Too much words.

Dredd: Too much good.

3rillers: Too much would-have-been-better-condensed-into-a-single-Future-Shock.

Survival Geeks: Too much fan-onanism.

Twisted Tales: Too much WTF?!  Please can someone get this Byrne fella to a mental health quack as quick as possible?  This stuff ain't normal.

Savage: Too much flashback.

Dark Jimbo

Cover's not for me.

Droid Life was the best in a while. Long may these continue!

Dredd was good fun. It suffered from the same problem as the entire run of Surival Geeks, though - beautifully drawn, endearingly crazy action whose potential is underminded by the characters archly deconstructing events with a knowing, ironic eye. Completely sucks the fun out of things. The script droids need to loosen up a bit and just let themselves write goofy nonsense without worrying about looking silly. We're 30 year olds reading a sci-fi comic! We like silly!

This was the first Norwhichmas3riller in a long while that felt more like a Future Shock in all but name. Too much exposition for my taste, but a nice enough little mystery while it lasted. I doubt this is going to linger in anyone's memory, though.

Twisted Tales lost me in places, but looked fantastic.

Savage is a solid, sturdy action thriller and ended in predictably solid, sturdy fashion. I did groan at the classic Pat polemic, brief as it was - who is this 'they' that goes around tippexing mention of the Edelwiess Pirates out of history textbooks? There are plenty of interesting historical curios that have fallen through the cracks of popular knowledge - it doesn't mean there's always some sinister bloody conspiracy at work! Pat and Legendary Shark would have a lot to talk about, I think.  ;)

Bit of a lightweight prog really, but we've had far worse. Roll on the new line-up!
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

I think the 3riller missed a bit of a trick with that ending.

I twigged that the 'planetoid' or what-have-you would turn out to be Talvage's 'brain', made out of Alamatter - what with the mention in the first episode of their having flown into a wormhole, I thought that this would turn out to be an ear canal, and that the entire story has taken place inside the head of a gigantic Alamatter Talvage, who goes striding off through space to Earth at the end to wreak a terrible revenge. Certainly more memorable, and the set-up for it was already done!
@jamesfeistdraws

Timothy

Quote from: Butch on 21 March, 2015, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 March, 2015, 01:15:01 PM

Shouldn't Quartz's boastful declaration have a comma in it?

Giggle.

also, that must be the first (and surely the last) time a 2000ad cover line has referenced the 1986 Lucasfilm Howard The Duck movie

Timothy

Oops. That giggle went in the wrong place.