Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Speaking of supposition disguised as fact, why did you say Steve MacManus assigned Kev Walker to Cinnabar, when that story debuted in 1989 - 2 years after Burton had replaced MacManus?

What I thought was contrary about your reply was that there's no contradiction between an editor framing an offer of inking work to Walker as an opportunity to learn from an experienced artist and that editor also thinking Dillon's finishing had suffered due to the change from brush to marker pens and the demands on his time from running/contributing to Deadline.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Frank on 19 November, 2016, 08:55:36 AM
Speaking of supposition disguised as fact, why did you say Steve MacManus assigned Kev Walker to Cinnabar, when that story debuted in 1989 - 2 years after Burton had replaced MacManus?

Because that's what Kev told me.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Frank on 19 November, 2016, 08:55:36 AM
What I thought was contrary about your reply was that there's no contradiction between an editor framing an offer of inking work to Walker as an opportunity to learn from an experienced artist and that editor also thinking Dillon's finishing had suffered due to the change from brush to marker pens and the demands on his time from running/contributing to Deadline.

Except that you have no evidence that this is the case. None. You believe it to be so, and you might even be right, but this is your opinion framed as fact. Unless you do have something to back up your assertion other than your belief, in which case I will apologise unreservedly.

Frank

The 2000ad Thrillcast Remembering Steve Dillon November 01, 2016 09:00 PM

MICHAEL MOLCHER: There was the work he did on Harlem Heroes and also Rogue Trooper, where he was inked by Kev Walker. Was that a consequence of him being in such demand he couldn't ink his own work?

RICHARD BURTON: Yes, yes. We didn't encourage that, that was the American way of doing things. We much preferred our artists to be in total control of their work.

Episode 1 of The Hit (prog 520)

Final episode of The Hit 3 (prog 603, Cinnabar followed in prog 624):

Heavy influence of Dillon's neighbour, Brendan McCarthy, in the weight and quality of line on that second page.

I can't think of another example of an artist inking someone else's work around that time, other than deadline pressures. Talbot helped Fabry out on an episode of Time Killer and (much earlier) Garry Leach went over Bolland's pencils on The Day The Law Died.

Ewins* and McCarthy had a much looser relationship, swapping pages and individual panels in the pub, but Mark Farmer and Mike Collins were the only duo I know of (sometimes) working on the US model of penciller and inker during that period.

* Who Dillon collaborated with on Skreemer

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Frank on 19 November, 2016, 10:14:50 AM
The 2000ad Thrillcast Remembering Steve Dillon November 01, 2016 09:00 PM[/the only duo I know of (sometimes) working on the US model of penciller and inker during that period.

Other than to note that I assume this is the same Richard Burton whose unreliable memory you find so amusing elsewhere, that is pretty unequivocal, and certainly supports your original statement. Fair enough! I apologise for questioning your original statement.

(Tangentially, I can't be bothered to sort out the chronology, but Mark Farmer inked a couple of Cam Kennedy Dredds, plus a lot of Mike Collins' stuff, including a whole book of Slaine. Gibbons and Bolland used to ink each other interchangeably and often uncredited during the first couple of years of 2000AD.)

Frank

Cheers, Jim. Dillon's legendary reliability suffering a little is understandable; at the time he was exiled in Ireland, bankrupted by Deadline and dodging the Inland Revenue.

Sandman1

Probably a pretty odd question, but does it take hours or days to drive from the Grand Hall to the nearest sector that's located next to the Cursed Earth?
Error...

Steve Green

Hours I'd imagine.

If you go by the plucked out of the air schematics for the Lawmaster, it has a top speed of 570 kph.

New York to Ohio is about 700 odd km.

Plus teleporters have popped up from time-to-time.

ZenArcade

My reading would be New York City to Central Pennsylvania in order to reach the post Apocalypse War West Wall. That's about 280 miles, so if you take the Lawmaster as being capable of 355 mph, you'd be there in about 50 mins. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Sandman1 on 19 November, 2016, 03:53:27 PM
Probably a pretty odd question, but does it take hours or days to drive from the Grand Hall to the nearest sector that's located next to the Cursed Earth?

Depends on who's driving - a Judge on a Lawmaster using the Judges' Lane of the Mega-Ways could theoretically make the journey in just under an hour (although they'd probably just summon an H-Wagon and fly instead), but regular traffic moves at about 200 miles an hour and can become indefinitely gridlocked for no apparent reason without notice.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

I am looking forward to this story you're writing, Sandman!

ZenArcade

Sandman here's something I did a few years ago as an entertaining wee project. My imagining of Mega City One in the early 2130's. The boundaries are pretty much accurate; the rest is supposition. Z

TordelBack

Still one of the finest things to ever appear on this board. And I'm including Burdis' Zardoz pants in that.

ZenArcade

Still one of the finest things to ever appear on this board. And I'm including Burdis' Zardoz pants in that.

Ok ladies, he's all yours!!! Z. :o

Sandman1

Quote from: ZenArcade on 19 November, 2016, 08:13:23 PM
Sandman here's something I did a few years ago as an entertaining wee project. My imagining of Mega City One in the early 2130's. The boundaries are pretty much accurate; the rest is supposition. Z

The sector numbers are pretty blurry, hard to see clearly.

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 November, 2016, 07:47:22 PM
I am looking forward to this story you're writing, Sandman!

If that eventuality ever comes into fruition, it's probably going to take a long time. I'm contemplating over a concept in an action role-playing game set in the Dredd universe. I really want to ride the Lawmaster in Mega-City One with a large, open-world structure.
Error...