Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: norton canes on 14 December, 2016, 09:21:40 AM
Have we all forgotten Armoured Gideon III?

I was about to make a smart-arsed comment like 'still trying to' but then I remembered I liked it. The change in style (both scriptwise and artwise) was great, and did the whole 'affectionate vintage comics parody' thing long before either Albion or Goldtiger.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Sandman1

Has PJ ever collaborated with another antagonist to achieve something? Would it feel like out of character if he did?
Error...

Smith

There would also be smaller (multi)verses like Dreddverse,Millsverse,EdgingtonVerse;inside the 2000 multiverse.The names could use a bit of work,but you know what I meant. :)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Sandman1 on 14 December, 2016, 08:00:58 PM
Has PJ ever collaborated with another antagonist to achieve something? Would it feel like out of character if he did?

He had some short dalliances with the Dark Judges after Day of Chaos. You couldn't really call it collusion though, it was more a case of him outwitting them (then them doing the same to him).

The Sisters of Death seemed to be fond of him during Necropolis though, stopping their dreadful wailing to give him a pat on the head.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: Smith on 16 December, 2016, 12:01:57 PM
There would also be smaller (multi)verses like Dreddverse,Millsverse,EdgingtonVerse;inside the 2000 multiverse.The names could use a bit of work,but you know what I meant. :)

"Millarworld"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 December, 2016, 12:22:44 PM
Quote from: Smith on 16 December, 2016, 12:01:57 PM

"Millarworld"

Moving on swiftly...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Sandman1 on 14 December, 2016, 08:00:58 PM
Very. The only thing PJ has ever collaborated with anyone (other than his favourite sexbot) on is saving PJ's skin. Even then, his number 2 priority is always going to be doing away with this person he now feels has some sort of hold over him.

I think you mentioned somewhere earlier that you were trying to come up with a setting for a game or a story or something. Now, don't take this the wrong way - it's a fun thread and people on here absolutely love to have an opportunity to spraff on about this stuff - but the easiest way to do this would be to read some of the stories you're asking about. Basing anything on a wiki article or this kind of discussion will inevitably lead to it being full of holes and inconsistencies.

Obviously, that might end up being the case anyway. At least it would be the case based on your own interpretation of the older stories and, along the way, you'd most likely pick up on a lot of the little background details which nobody would think to ask or tell otherwise.

Good luck!
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

I think the thing to remember about PJ is that he was very, very smart*. Smarter than Dredd, smarter than the Dark Judges, and smarter than anyone else who crossed his path. Pretty much any other Dredd villain I can think of would be out of their depth trying to collude with PJ - I don't think even Jura Edgar could have matched him in terms of elaborate schemes.  It even felt a bit out of character when he failed to stop Judge Death breaking into his house.

*Which is a testament to how smart John Wagner is, turning out scripts to match Arthur Conan Doyle in terms of mental puzzles.  The only other writer who has tackled PJ, (an admittedly very young) Garth Ennis, just couldn't pull off the complexity of PJ's wicked plans.

EDIT: While Cosh is of course right in saying you should read the stories yourself, by all means keep asking us questions.  I don't think I'm alone in saying I love chatting about Dredd and his world.

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 December, 2016, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 December, 2016, 12:31:46 PM
The only thing PJ has ever collaborated with anyone (other than his favourite sexbot) on is saving PJ's skin. Even then, his number 2 priority is always going to be doing away with this person he now feels has some sort of hold over him.

Pretty much any other Dredd villain I can think of would be out of their depth trying to collude with PJ - I don't think even Jura Edgar could have matched him in terms of elaborate schemes.

All good points. Nothing original to add, so I'll just reiterate that the main problem with the idea of Maybe collaborating with another villain isn't his narcisism or his treachery; it's that he's dead.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 16 December, 2016, 01:02:56 PM
All good points. Nothing original to add, so I'll just reiterate that the main problem with the idea of Maybe collaborating with another villain isn't his narcisism or his treachery; it's that he's dead.
So's Darth Vader but they still made four more films about him.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 December, 2016, 01:22:12 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 December, 2016, 01:14:35 PM
So's Darth Vader but they still made four more films about him.

Dead? PJ isn't even born yet  ;)

Ha! Plus, Ladykiller had more back doors than Buckingham Palace.

I don't suppose John Wagner ever plans to unlock them, but the longer the strip goes on the more likely it is somebody else will [1].

So there are your options, Sandman - set your game before 2039 or have the Dark Judges resurrect Maybe from the grave.

[1] Look at poor Mean Angel

Sandman1

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 December, 2016, 12:31:46 PMI think you mentioned somewhere earlier that you were trying to come up with a setting for a game or a story or something. Now, don't take this the wrong way - it's a fun thread and people on here absolutely love to have an opportunity to spraff on about this stuff - but the easiest way to do this would be to read some of the stories you're asking about. Basing anything on a wiki article or this kind of discussion will inevitably lead to it being full of holes and inconsistencies.

I would never base a story on articles and these discussions. It would have been insulting against Wagner, Ezquerra, 2000 AD, Dredd as a character and you. I'm just trying to get a first impression of Dredd and the world around him. If I got the chance to write a story in the Dredd universe, I'd first make contact with Rebellion and the creators. I would treat their consent like a precious diamond.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 December, 2016, 12:44:04 PM*Which is a testament to how smart John Wagner is, turning out scripts to match Arthur Conan Doyle in terms of mental puzzles.  The only other writer who has tackled PJ, (an admittedly very young) Garth Ennis, just couldn't pull off the complexity of PJ's wicked plans.

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Can I find this complexity in The Life and Crimes of P.J. Maybe?

Quote from: Frank on 16 December, 2016, 01:41:33 PMSo there are your options, Sandman - set your game before 2039 or have the Dark Judges resurrect Maybe from the grave.

So he dies permanently around the year 2039. That's good to know. 

Error...

Frank

Sandman1

Error...