Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 December, 2016, 12:22:44 PM
Quote from: Smith on 16 December, 2016, 12:01:57 PM
There would also be smaller (multi)verses like Dreddverse,Millsverse,EdgingtonVerse;inside the 2000 multiverse.The names could use a bit of work,but you know what I meant. :)

"Millarworld"
Well,it is catchy.Thou IIRC,his 2000AD stories are a bit of an old shame for Millar.With good reason,If I may add.I could make an exception for Canon Fodder,but mostly for Westons art.

Mardroid

Quote from: Frank on 16 December, 2016, 01:02:56 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 December, 2016, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 December, 2016, 12:31:46 PM
The only thing PJ has ever collaborated with anyone (other than his favourite sexbot) on is saving PJ's skin. Even then, his number 2 priority is always going to be doing away with this person he now feels has some sort of hold over him.

Pretty much any other Dredd villain I can think of would be out of their depth trying to collude with PJ - I don't think even Jura Edgar could have matched him in terms of elaborate schemes.

All good points. Nothing original to add, so I'll just reiterate that the main problem with the idea of Maybe collaborating with another villain isn't his narcisism or his treachery; it's that he's dead.

Or is he? Something small occurred in the Judge Dredd story in the recent Christmas prog [spoiler]concerning Vienna's latest boyfriend that made me wonder..[/spoiler] but as it's not a Wagner scripted tale, likely it was just a throwaway gag.

Sandman1

How does the cloning function in the Dredd world? Would it be possible for someone to get their hands on, only as an example, Cal's DNA and produce a clone from the material?
Error...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Sandman1 on 19 December, 2016, 02:13:46 PM
Would it be possible for someone to get their hands on, .....Cal's DNA and produce a clone from the material?

Funny you should mention that - check out Prog 2000's Dredd/Strontium Dog crossover. And the whole Judda storyline (Collected in Judge Dredd: Oz) related to this

Sandman1

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 December, 2016, 02:50:28 PMFunny you should mention that - check out Prog 2000's Dredd/Strontium Dog crossover. And the whole Judda storyline (Collected in Judge Dredd: Oz) related to this.

I'm reading through The Life and Crimes of P.J. Maybe right now, so that has to wait. Is the cloning process a fairly common practice in the city or do you need to work for the Justice Department in order to use this equipment? Can someone with deep pockets buy this equipment?
Error...

Frank

Quote from: Sandman1 on 19 December, 2016, 10:49:27 PM
Is the cloning process a fairly common practice in the city or do you need to work for the Justice Department in order to use this equipment? Can someone with deep pockets buy this equipment?

Depends. John Wagner's done a couple of stories where very wealthy people buy healthy, young bodies to cheat death [1]. If cloning technology was easily available, you'd think they'd just have a new body grown in a vat.

Al Ewing introduced a character called Deller [2], who Judge Giancarlo Exposito informs us is a result of a brief period where cheap cloning technology was commercially available for a short time in another city (before the Dredd strip debuted).

[1] The Megacity Way Of Death, by Wagner and Staples (prog 1111) and The Dead Ringer, by Wagner/Grant and Kitson, prog 493

[2] Served Cold, Ewing and Higgins, prog 1718

ZenArcade

Marshal Kazan had a clone Grandmother....probably not relevant.  :-\ Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dandontdare

and wasn't pop star Jonni Kiss duplicated hundreds of times by fans buying (then legal) cloning kits? I think that story also says that the practice was outlawed soon afterwards, so now it's just the Judges who have access to cloning tech.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 December, 2016, 10:17:58 AM
and wasn't pop star Jonni Kiss duplicated hundreds of times by fans buying (then legal) cloning kits? I think that story also says that the practice was outlawed soon afterwards, so now it's just the Judges who have access to cloning tech.

Wasn't Jonni Kiss a judge killer?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

Sandman1

Do you know when they banned the cloning technology from the public? 
Error...

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 December, 2016, 10:24:22 AM

Wasn't Jonni Kiss a judge killer?
Quote from: Steve Green on 20 December, 2016, 10:39:21 AM
Jimmy Dean

Of course - and he was a movie star not a pop star

Quote from: Sandman1 on 20 December, 2016, 03:52:56 PM

Well the clones were all around 18 and the story ran mumble cough mumble years ago, so add the two together and deduct from current year. (I'm always crap with dates!)

Tjm86

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 December, 2016, 04:04:33 PM
Quote from: Sandman1 on 20 December, 2016, 03:52:56 PM

Well the clones were all around 18 and the story ran mumble cough mumble years ago, so add the two together and deduct from current year. (I'm always crap with dates!)

Haha! That Jimmy Dean story [1] says Cal (briefly) repealed the cloning legislation, so that would have been towards the end of the second year of the Dredd strip. That means the laws were suspended for a few months, around 38 years ago.

If some writer decides their story needs cloning to be legal in MC1, it'll be legal again. Those Deller and Jimmy Dean stories illustrate the kind of headaches it would cause, though.

[1] Megazine 3.39, No More Jimmy Deans, by Wagner and Hairsine

JayzusB.Christ

Wonder how Pa and Junior Angel are getting on these days?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"