Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

You cannot see this post because the user has blocked you

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Sandman1

Judge Morph/Morphy (?) was apparently a kind of father figure to Dredd. Where can I read about him?

Regarding the cloning process, is it Tek-Division who manages that part? 
Error...

TordelBack

Main Morph story is the utterly essential Dredd tale Question of Judgement (Prog 387; reprinted Casefiles 8). He resurfaces in Tale of the Dead Man (Progs 662-8; reprinted Casefiles 14; not to be confused with The Dead Man), and then I think he appears tangentially in flashback a few times, such as Judgement (Progs 1523-28; dont know if it's reprinted yet), but the first two are the substantial ones.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 December, 2016, 03:55:42 PM
... I think (Morph) appears tangentially in flashback a few times, such as Judgement (Progs 1523-28; dont know if it's reprinted yet)

If TordelBack will allow me to serve as Gareth Edwards to his JJ Abrams, there's another, older story that isn't really essential, but I'd like to tell you about it anyway.

First Of The Many [1] purports to be the story of Dredd's first arrest, while he was a rookie serving under the supervision of Morph.

[1] Prog 775, by Garth Ennis and Cliff Robinson, collected in Case Files 16

Sandman1

Main Morph story is the utterly essential Dredd tale Question of Judgement (Prog 387; reprinted Casefiles 8). He resurfaces in Tale of the Dead Man (Progs 662-8; reprinted Casefiles 14; not to be confused with The Dead Man), and then I think he appears tangentially in flashback a few times, such as Judgement (Progs 1523-28; dont know if it's reprinted yet), but the first two are the substantial ones.

Do you think Morph has influenced Dredd a great deal in his day-to-day handlings on the street? 
Error...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Sandman1 on 21 December, 2016, 10:27:50 PM

Do you think Morph has influenced Dredd a great deal in his day-to-day handlings on the street?

He wears tight boots because of Morphy's advice, to keep his mind sharp and away from other problems.  Also the doubts he had that led to his resignation in the build-up to Necropolis were very much influenced by Morphy's words about when a judge should quit.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Sandman1

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 December, 2016, 10:39:30 PMHe wears tight boots because of Morphy's advice, to keep his mind sharp and away from other problems.  Also the doubts he had that led to his resignation in the build-up to Necropolis were very much influenced by Morphy's words about when a judge should quit.

Did Dredd say anything about why he came back to duty after his resignation?
Error...

Dandontdare

Sandman1

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 December, 2016, 03:24:40 PM
To save the city from Judge Death!

Yes, of course. Maybe I also wanted a more... philosophical reason for his change of mind. 
Error...

Frank

Quote from: Sandman1 on 22 December, 2016, 10:55:31 PM

Yes, of course. Maybe I also wanted a more... philosophical reason for his change of mind.

Dredd still has his doubts, especially after Chaos Day, but he's been indoctrinated to believe that he and the system he embodies are all that stand between the city and a worse fate.

He's probably kidding himself, but he's running out of ways to do so.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Sandman1 on 22 December, 2016, 10:55:31 PM

He's not the mosy philosophical character!  :lol: He basically put aside all doubts to save the city in its hour of need; immediately after the crisis he strongarms the Department into holding a referendum about their continued future. When the citizens vote overwhelmingly in favour of keeping the Judges, this seems to put to rest most of his doubts for the forseeable future.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

*most philosophical, that should have been!  ::)
@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

Dredd told the chief judge that resigning and walking away from his problems doesn't solve them. So whatever doubts he may still have, he's not going to resign over them again.

Sandman1

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 December, 2016, 12:44:04 PM
I think the thing to remember about PJ is that he was very, very smart*. Smarter than Dredd, smarter than the Dark Judges, and smarter than anyone else who crossed his path. Pretty much any other Dredd villain I can think of would be out of their depth trying to collude with PJ - I don't think even Jura Edgar could have matched him in terms of elaborate schemes.  It even felt a bit out of character when he failed to stop Judge Death breaking into his house.

Do you think PJ would cooperate if this other individual offered him something really great and could afterwards get rid of this person?

I've read that they send deceased people to recycling plants. Do they even send highly respected Judges there or are they buried in some special place?   
Error...