Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I can't remember if it's really been said.

Fargo was kept in a tomb (although it turned out it was a fake)

Dredd had a 'funeral' although it was prior to Resyk appearing in the strip.

I don't imagine judges consider themselves 'special', it's the law not the individual that is important to them.

Citizens can avoid Resyk by paying a tax, and cemetery space was usually reserved for the wealthy.

Sandman1

Quote from: Steve Green on 28 December, 2016, 03:46:10 PMCitizens can avoid Resyk by paying a tax, and cemetery space was usually reserved for the wealthy.

So anyone can avoid the recycling by paying a tax, but is it a high taxation? Where do they put deceased people who pays the fee? I thought the city was a cramped place. 
Error...

Dash Decent

One option is that you can go to a taxidermist and have the corpse stuffed and mounted - head and shoulders - though having the full figure done is also possible.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

Quote from: Sandman1 on 28 December, 2016, 10:41:14 PM
Where do they put deceased people who pays the fee? I thought the city was a cramped place.

Multi-storey cemeteries. And yes, it is a hefty fee, facts that give rise to one of the veey best Dredd stories, 'Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart'. You really should read some of this stuff, Sandman!

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2016, 11:40:57 PM
Quote from: Sandman1 on 28 December, 2016, 10:41:14 PM
Where do they put deceased people who pays the fee? I thought the city was a cramped place.

Multi-storey cemeteries. And yes, it is a hefty fee, facts that give rise to one of the veey best Dredd stories, 'Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart'. You really should read some of this stuff, Sandman!

Also seen in the recently-released collection Daily Dredds Volume Two (the story is Monster Maker).

terryworld

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: terryworld on 29 December, 2016, 03:07:02 AM
jovus drokk, just READ THE BLOODY BOOKS!!!

To be fair, there are a hell of a lot of Dredd-world books to read for a newcomer to get up to speed, and they cost money.  I think what the OP is doing here is very reasonable - asking Dredd-related questions to people who like talking about Dredd, and getting pointers towards which books to start with in the process. 
(For example, a newcomer wouldn't realise that America was a far better introduction to Dredd's universe as we know it than Case Files 1 without looking into things first.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

True - and this continues to be a really interesting thread. For myself I wasn't expressing any frustration, just encouraging Sandman to take the plunge with the better material.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 December, 2016, 12:09:24 PM

To be fair, there are a hell of a lot of Dredd-world books to read for a newcomer to get up to speed, and they cost money.  I think what the OP is doing here is very reasonable - asking Dredd-related questions to people who like talking about Dredd, and getting pointers towards which books to start with in the process. 
(For example, a newcomer wouldn't realise that America was a far better introduction to Dredd's universe as we know it than Case Files 1 without looking into things first.)

I really love America, but I wouldn't say it's a good introduction - I may be biased by my experience, but I'd recommend whichever case files cover the period between the Day the Law Died and the Judge Child, and the year following the Apocalypse War.

Smith

Quote from: sheridan on 29 December, 2016, 01:25:17 PM

I really love America, but I wouldn't say it's a good introduction - I may be biased by my experience, but I'd recommend whichever case files cover the period between the Day the Law Died and the Judge Child, and the year following the Apocalypse War.

That would be case files 2.
Personally,I would suggest CF5 as a starting point(Block Mania and Apocalypse War).

Dandontdare

Quote from: Smith on 29 December, 2016, 01:59:06 PM

Personally,I would suggest CF5 as a starting point(Block Mania and Apocalypse War).

s'right

Frank

a newcomer wouldn't realise that America was a far better introduction to Dredd's universe than Case Files 1

I really love America, but I wouldn't say it's a good introduction

It's a better introduction than Case Files 1. Anything's a better introduction than Case Files 1.

Everybody loves The Apocalypse War, but it's 35 years old, black and white, and Carlos Ezquerra is a marmite artist. Plus, epic destruction and Judge Death aren't really what 95% of the Dredd strip is about, or what makes it great.

If place-to-start recommendations were actually about directing new readers towards stuff that will get them interested in reading more, we'd say Tour Of Duty every time*. It's got all the fun, variety, and citizen involvement of the old stuff, but it's as well written as the best of Wagner's mature work.

Somebody who enjoyed Case Files 5 then picked up a copy of the latest 2000ad to see if it interested them would find a very different Dredd strip with a very different look, tone, cast of characters, and creators.

* It's like a volume of the Case Files, with lots of different stories by different artists, but - unlike the Case Files - has a satisfying, overarching story.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Frank on 29 December, 2016, 03:00:14 PM

If place-to-start recommendations were actually about directing new readers towards stuff that will get them interested in reading more, we'd say Tour Of Duty every time*. It's got all the fun, variety, and citizen involvement of the old stuff, but it's as well written as the best of Wagner's mature work.

This is an excellent point.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

Quote from: Frank on 29 December, 2016, 03:00:14 PM
a newcomer wouldn't realise that America was a far better introduction to Dredd's universe than Case Files 1

I really love America, but I wouldn't say it's a good introduction

It's a better introduction than Case Files 1. Anything's a better introduction than Case Files 1.

Everybody loves The Apocalypse War, but it's 35 years old, black and white, and Carlos Ezquerra is a marmite artist. Plus, epic destruction and Judge Death aren't really what 95% of the Dredd strip is about, or what makes it great.

Somebody who enjoyed Case Files 5 then picked up a copy of the latest 2000ad to see if it interested them would find a very different Dredd strip with a very different look, tone, cast of characters, and creators.

* It's like a volume of the Case Files, with lots of different stories by different artists, but - unlike the Case Files - has a satisfying, overarching story.
Thats also true.I guess if you really wanted to get up to speed fast,you could start with the recent-ish Block Judge(IDK if it was collected yet) and continue with the regular progs from there.

Sandman1

I'm looking for a story that hits Dredd where it really hurts, something that drives him to the brink of a total breakdown. Which story or stories matches that description?

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2016, 11:40:57 PMMulti-storey cemeteries. And yes, it is a hefty fee, facts that give rise to one of the veey best Dredd stories, 'Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart'. You really should read some of this stuff, Sandman!

You gave me a tip about a great story, so I will definitely read it in the near future.

It's really hard to know where to look if it exists a jungle out there. And really, I don't have time to read all the stories. 
Error...