Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman1

Quote from: terryworld on 29 December, 2016, 07:16:23 PM
"I'm contemplating over a concept in an action role-playing game set in the Dredd universe."

I'll wait for Rebellion's version of that thanks.

I, and probably everybody else, wouldn't do anything without Rebellion's approval. I'm considering contacting them after I have finished my studies in writing at the university. Dredd would certainly fit really well in that type of game, but nothing official has surfaced yet. 
Error...

Rogue Judge

I agree that committing time and money into Dredd is well worth it - in the last 12 months I have purchased and read the first 18 case files, Deadman, America, and Cursed Earth Uncensored. I am loving every minute of it and will continue working my way through Dredd in the new year! Well worth the time and money.

However, I think its okay for Sandman to ask questions too. While it would benefit him to actually read the stories (they are so good!), there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum who enjoy talking about Judge Dredd and like responding to the questions (I always appreciate Franks thorough responses). This thread has been an interesting read and I have also learned a lot!

Sandman1

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 December, 2016, 08:28:53 PM
...though I will add that as long as he's not making money out of it, then I say more power to him. Judge Minty wasn't a Rebellion product, and nor was the Horned God fan-made mock-trailer, and both were excellent.

I would never break the copyright law in any way, so no one should throw around accusations. Anyone who doesn't like the questions can just stay away. 
Error...

Smith

On the earlier topic of where to start,there is also the Mega City Masters line,which was meant to serve as an introduction to new audience/creator showcase.I dont really know how well it does that job,but its an option.

jacob g

Quote from: Smith on 01 January, 2017, 08:09:39 PM
On the earlier topic of where to start,there is also the Mega City Masters line,which was meant to serve as an introduction to new audience/creator showcase.I dont really know how well it does that job,but its an option.

Volume 1 of MCM is out of print for a long time and it's not that affordable anymore.
margaritas ante porcos

Smith

Quote from: jacob g on 01 January, 2017, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: Smith on 01 January, 2017, 08:09:39 PM

Volume 1 of MCM is out of print for a long time and it's not that affordable anymore.
I assumed as much,but thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

Sandman1

The use of flying vehicles, how common is it in the city? Can anybody use this way of transportation or is it reserved for emergency personnel (including Judges) and the transport of goods?
Error...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Sandman1 on 03 January, 2017, 04:53:03 PM
The use of flying vehicles, how common is it in the city? Can anybody use this way of transportation or is it reserved for emergency personnel (including Judges) and the transport of goods?

Good God, man, have you read any of the comics, or is this now just an elaborate troll?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

They're not restricted to just emergency personnel and transport, although wheeled or at least road-bound vehicles are more commonplace since the judges (with the exception of one story) ride around on wheeled bikes.

The Judges have H-Wagons, but it would make for a dull story if all the criminals just flew out of range of Dredd on his lawmaster.

Smith

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 January, 2017, 05:01:48 PM

Good God, man, have you read any of the comics, or is this now just an elaborate troll?
Makes you wonder,doesnt it?
Sandman,it was mentioned before,but may I recommend Dredd Reckoning blog?It should help you with the research.

TordelBack

Short answer: everyone who can afford it has access to hover vehicles/flivvers, batglider suits, skysurf boards, jetpacks etc. However the dominant form of transportation in MC-1 still appears to be the wheeled (or otherwise) car or Mopad; notable exception being the Zoom network, a sort of high-speed elevated monorail. It may be a money thing. Given that most citz live their entire lives in the one citiblock, and 90% are on Welf, it does make you wonder where they are all going.

Judges have access to hover ('H-') wagons, hoverbikes (Zippers) and a dedicated Flying Squad, including jetpack-equipped units.

Fungus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 January, 2017, 05:01:48 PM

Thought crossed my mind twelve or thirteen times.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2017, 05:55:28 PM
It may be a money thing. Given that most citz live their entire lives in the one citiblock, and 90% are on Welf, it does make you wonder where they are all going

Responses like this illustrate the value of the thread. As Shakespeare said, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

We all instinctively responded that Dredd quit before Necropolis due to doubts about the system, but how many of us had a ready answer when Sandman asked how Dredd reconciled those doubts with returning to duty?

We'll see how smart we are when Sandman gets round to asking where all the money comes from if nobody works ...

Richard

Reading this thread is no substitute for reading the stories.

Sandman1

The grouchy feeling are beginning to create a thick fog in here, so I'm gonna cut it off.

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2017, 05:55:28 PM
Short answer: everyone who can afford it has access to hover vehicles/flivvers, batglider suits, skysurf boards, jetpacks etc. However the dominant form of transportation in MC-1 still appears to be the wheeled (or otherwise) car or Mopad; notable exception being the Zoom network, a sort of high-speed elevated monorail. It may be a money thing. Given that most citz live their entire lives in the one citiblock, and 90% are on Welf, it does make you wonder where they are all going.

Judges have access to hover ('H-') wagons, hoverbikes (Zippers) and a dedicated Flying Squad, including jetpack-equipped units.

Good to know.

Quote from: Richard on 03 January, 2017, 09:14:50 PM
Reading this thread is no substitute for reading the stories.

No one has claimed anything else.

Quote from: Frank on 03 January, 2017, 07:15:09 PMWe'll see how smart we are when Sandman gets round to asking where all the money comes from if nobody works ...

The devil is in the details. 
Error...