Main Menu

Not sure if it's me or the prog...

Started by Steve Green, 04 July, 2017, 07:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Pat Mills does come in for some flak on these pages, and yes some of his stories do replay the same tired trope i:e; Outsiders vs. invisible, ruling elite yet in a horrible way Mills protagonists rarely win overall against their ghastly adversaries. They might win the battles, but not the war and does that hard fact suggest that  Mills believes there is no final victory against such elites? That's a bit horrible isn't it both in fiction and more, in reality, and I'm struck how most revolutions inevitably flounder. Trump and Brexit, seen by their exponents as revolutions against elites both continually seem to flail with some commentators believing Brexit might not happen at all and the Arab Spring petered out into various coups and civil wars. Has Mills been subtlely telling us a grim tale all along, disguised in the rebels fair cloak that despite your many efforts against injustice, in the end, amoral elites always come to dominate?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Magnetica

Quote from: JLC on 05 August, 2017, 11:57:32 AM
Would we ever see anything like The Burger Wars again?

If you mean will 2000AD ever print anything that risks its very existence again? Then no I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be sensible - for any publication.

If you mean will it ever publish a fun satirical piece - well yes I am sure it will. And for me "Burger Wars" wasn't that good - there are loads more Dredd stories poking fun at the state of the world that are better than that example IMO.

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 05 August, 2017, 11:42:48 AM
Quote from: Frank on 18 July, 2017, 09:04:59 PMI''d rather Dredd was treated like any other strip, and only appeared when its creators are available**, but I wouldn't want to deny fans of ice monsters and secret ninja armies their fun.

** Dredd would have gone on hiatus between 1991 and 1994, dropped to 20 episodes per year from 1999 to 2012, and switched to 10-15 episodes for the last few years.

I may be biased because when I started reading the prog it was 'called' "2000AD featuring Judge Dredd", but if the staple character only appeared in one in three progs, would there be a prog after a few years?

I don't know. The only experience I have of publishing and distribution is knocking out mucky versions of Oor Wullie and The Broons at school. Demand tailed off in the early nineties but, like Richard Burton, I blame that on market forces rather than my creative choices.

Even back when it was all Wagner & Grant, about 1/3 of each year's Dredd was ballast. I've no idea whether shelving the Captain Stranges and Gators, and making Dredd an only semipermanent fixture - like Strontium Dog - would have crashed the comic.

I'm not sure I intended the above as sage advice for Tharg, just the logical extension of my preference that strips take a break until the original creators return (as is the case for almost all strips). I can see why Tharg isn't going to mess with the established formula.

sheridan

Quote from: Smith on 04 August, 2017, 03:07:28 PM
A lot of good examples of hipster SF I cant stand.Just saying.

Just saying what?  If they were good examples it would be obvious why they're 'hipster SF' (not a term I've ever come across before).  Explain.

JLC

Quote from: sheridan on 05 August, 2017, 02:28:23 PM

Just saying what?  If they were good examples it would be obvious why they're 'hipster SF' (not a term I've ever come across before).  Explain.
Yep that's a new phrase to me to. I would like to know more about it.

dweezil2

Quote from: JLC on 05 August, 2017, 04:32:19 PM

I've only ever experienced two forms of Science Fiction-great and shit!  :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

Smith was challenged to explain himself and exchanged views with many boarders over the course of several pages.

Click on the post quoted and you can follow the whole conversation, which ended with Smith expressing regret for the manner in which he expressed himself.

Everyone hugged.

JLC

Quote from: Frank on 05 August, 2017, 05:25:16 PM

Smith was challenged to explain himself and exchanged views with many boarders over the course of several pages.

Click on the post quoted and you can follow the whole conversation, which ended with Smith expressing regret for the manner in which he expressed himself.

Everyone hugged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTmiDyO9Ryc

The Legendary Shark

[img]cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/mustache-wars.jpeg[/img
]

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Maybe I'm just not finding these examples as much fun or fresh as the stuff back in the day. Would we ever see anything like The Burger Wars again?

Considering some of the publishing problems of the time some of us didn't even see it at the time.  Sacriligious as it sounds, Starlord was a better read for me than the tooth.  I was 7 years old, sue me!

dweezil2

Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 August, 2017, 06:12:55 PM
Maybe I'm just not finding these examples as much fun or fresh as the stuff back in the day. Would we ever see anything like The Burger Wars again?

Considering some of the publishing problems of the time some of us didn't even see it at the time.  Sacriligious as it sounds, Starlord was a better read for me than the tooth.  I was 7 years old, sue me!

You were seduced by the glossy paper!!!!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tjm86

:lol:

... more like by Strontium Dog, Robusters and Mind Wars.  Planet of the Damned was always a guilty pleasure too.

Richard

Mind Wars was good. Hopefully the Treasury of British Comics will get round to introducing it to a new generation at some point.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 05 August, 2017, 09:19:49 PM
Mind Wars was good. Hopefully the Treasury of British Comics will get round to introducing it to a new generation at some point.
True - my favourite work by Jesus Redondo, an opinion shared with the man himself (as he revealed at the 40th).