Main Menu

FINAL!!! Favourite CURRENT art droid D’Israeli or Colin MacNeil

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 February, 2021, 06:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well what titanic struggles we've seen to witness these two make the final. D'Israeli pulled off the shock of not only this, but any other tourney I've run by getting more votes than Henry Flint. Along the way he also polled over John Higgins, Mark Harrison (who almost got the art Droid of 2020 poll!) and Simon Fraser. It's been no easier for Colin MacNeil who has been given favourite ahead of Neil Googe, Brendan McCarthy, Cliff Robinson and Simon Davis.

Wow is that testament to the talent we have working for Tharg at the moment!

For the title FAVOURITE CURRENT ART DROID just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to grab bronze. It really helps if you use BOLD tags or otherwise make your vote clear.

D'Israeli - more info

OR

Colin MacNeil - more info

I'll close and count on the morning of Saturday 19th February

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys and Quarter Finals[/s] semi finals - I've not updated this - cos we know what we're doing right. There's a tiny bit more about the Semi's here but it's mainly just a post about what's coming after...

Who made the 32 in both tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth again not updated as we're getting good at this now aren't we.

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Sean SD

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

This is an interesting one we are looking at two artist which over the years has used different styles to express themselves.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Tomwe

Thrill receptors to max! These two Droids are surely the best Tharg has in his ranks. My love of cartooning is fulfilled when reading the work of Mr Brooker but I am giddy when greeted by the sharp blacks of Colin's pages upon opening a prog so there's my vote. We are blessed that all these talents continue to draw for our favourite weekly distraction.
Thanks again for running theses Tourneys, Colin!

JayzusB.Christ

D'Israeli is something very special; one of the best and most original droids we have. 

But man... Supersurf 10.  Johnny Alpha's death.  Freaking AmericaColin McNeil is one of the most important figures in prog history, and gets my vote here.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yeah, Colin for me. For Insurrection largely, the art of which knocked me for six on my recent reread.

But for everything else as well. Including (though not relevant here) his Conan and Solomon Kane two parter in the last days of Savage Sword.

SBT

Magnetica

Mechanismo, America, Tour of Duty, Insurrection, countless modern Dredds.

It's Colin MacNeil by a country mile.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Both magnificent artists with a huge body of work - but who to choose? Um, um...Colin MacNeil.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

AlexF

Like, no doubt McNeil has produced more stunning pages of art in his time, but that D'Israeli, man, he really brings it with the inventiveness and the 'how does he cram all that detail in' factor. McNeil has more on terms of sheer numbers (370+ episodes vs 270+), but I think D'Is has that bit more extreme variety of style. Close, though!

For me it's McNeil on America, Chopper and Insurrection - with a long service award thrown in for many an excellent Dredd story, if none quite as good as those other three efforts...

versus D'Israeli on Leviathan, Low Life, XTNCT, Helium, Scarlet Traces and Stickleback - with fond memories thrown in for his rather good Future Shocks under the name Molly Eyre.

Ah, so much for the statistical approach. Just typing out 'America, Chopper and Insurrection' has made my emotional control cortex activate strongly in favour of Colin McNeil. Surprising myself, there, I definitely hit 'reply' intending to cast my vote the other way.