Main Menu

Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Round 7

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 March, 2021, 06:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

1 - Tour of Duty
2 - Mechanismo
3 - Beyond the Call of Duty
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Southstreeter

1. Tour of Duty
2. Machanismo
3. Beyond the call of duty

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well I said at the kick off of this one the four that progressed into this round could march through and low and behold that's what happened, but it the extend to which they sweep the new Epics aside that astonished me:

Tour of Duty - 55 points
Mechanismo - 29 points
Trifecta - 25 points
City of the Damned - 23 points

Going into the 28 - 21 position play off:

Beyond the Call of Duty - 8 points
Fetish - 7 points
Dark Justice - 4
Krong Island - 1

There's barely been a change in the voting, Trifecta popped ahead of City of the Damned, but that was always neck and neck and its the gap between those thrill and the new following pack that surprised me. I did wonder how popular Beyond the Call of Duty and Dark Justice would be? And while they drew votes it wasn't even close.

Looking at the Epics coming into Round 8 I do wonder if we'll get a similar situation next time in Round 8. Join me tomorrow and we'll start to find out...

BPP

Because none of the 4 disappeared are epics.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: BPP on 17 March, 2021, 11:28:38 AM
Because none of the 4 disappeared are epics.

Personally I'm just voting for my three favourites in each round; nothing to do with what I do or do no consider an epic.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Aye, there's a whole other thread about what makes a Dredd story an 'epic'.  I've just gone with my three favourites too, and it's a snappier name for the tournament than Long Dredd Stories Ranked.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Yeah and we had that whole thread of aghast comments - a lot from me I'll hold my hand up - over X-Mas about AlexF's magnificent list and it seemed fun to tie it all back to where the idea stemmed. As I always say rather than moan do something about it - which is what this is.

AlexF's list and definiations can't be saluted enough, while being pulled down - as he had the gumption to do the work. was brave enough to try to get to a definition - and stick to it (mainly) and also create a way to score things which he also stuck to. That's why I love seeing AlexF's votes here, often different when unrestrained by this system... hmmm ... there's a link back to Dredd there somewhere isn't there...

Funt Solo

One of the reasons I started that other thread was just to find out what people thought about definitions - and I learned a lot from it.

I vote entirely inconsistently between rounds, I've noticed. It's very much "how do I feel right now" and "I have a better memory of what happened in the 80s than at any other time in my life".

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Barrington Boots

I've definitely not voted for some stuff because it didn't feel epic enough - and having looked back at Alex's list there's some good stories coming up but (assuming they stay in the running) I'm not sure I can see my votes changing until we get to The Pit.

It's an interesting exercise nonetheless!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

BPP

It's not a complaint, it's just a fairly obvious statement of why these 4 very different stories failed to make a dent. I mean I can't even remember Beyond even tho I'll know what happened character development wise in/from it. They're all very different things story ' art ' character wise but what they all share is that basically they aren't epics while 3 of the 4 that survive most definitely are.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 March, 2021, 03:37:31 PM
...I'm not sure I can see my votes changing until we get to The Pit.

It's an interesting exercise nonetheless!

Arh but by the time we get to The Pit the whole tourney will be about to change up as we head to the knockouts!

DrJomster

Fascinating to watch it all unfold!

The bunching is interesting, Tour of Duty way out ahead, Mechanismo/Trifecta/City of the Damned all fairly close and then the rest. I think that's broadly fair to be honest. The top four are all strong.

Dark Justice does have gorgeous art though.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.