Main Menu

Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Round 7

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 March, 2021, 06:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

We have some big hitters coming through into this round and they are being joined by Epics that I think folks will find interesting and I can see a scenario were none of the new thrill progress now? Will it happen, I'm not sure, could it happen, definately. Let's find out.

Look at the list of 8 Dredd stories below and tell me your top three:

1 (your favourite of the 8) will get 3 points
2 (your 2nd fav) will get 2 points
3 (your 3rd fav) will get 1 point

Advanced from the previous rounds:

City of the Damned - Progs 393-406

Mechanismo - Megs 2.12-2.17; 2.22-2.26; 2.37-2.43

Trifecta - Progs 1804-1812

Tour of Duty - Progs 1649-1693

Next four from Dredd Epics Ranked:

Krong Islands - Megs 376-377, 386, 392-395

Fetish - Megs 3.25-3.29

Dark Justice - Progs 1912-1921

Beyond the Call of Duty - Progs 1101-1110

Voting will close on the morning of Wednesday 17th March and the 4 Epics with the most votes will progress to the next round.

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

Rogue Judge

Based on what I have read...

1. Mechanismo
2. City of the Damned
3. Fetish

Beyond the Call of Duty was good but not too memorable. End of Days was good too for a recent epic, but I'll need to read it again collected to enjoy it more. Looking forward to seeing these other epics collected in the case files one day.

broodblik

1. Dark Justice
2. Trifecta
3. Tour of Duty
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Nothing changes

1 -city of the dammed
2 - tour of duty
3 - trifecta
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

abelardsnazz

Ooh this is getting interesting. After some thought....

1. Fetish. Although I'm not entirely sure what's going on, it's John Smith weirdness, Siku's unique take on Dredd and Devlin, and some spectacular imagery.
2. Tour of Duty
3. Mechanismo

The first time I haven't voted for City of the Damned. My nostalgia for it is now outweighed by the quality of the stories above.

Magnetica

A clear top two for me

1 Tour of Duty
2 Trifecta

Third place is harder. It's between 3 stories, none of which I consider to be epics: Beyond the Call of Duty, Mechanismo and Dark Justice.

So on a coin toss I'm going for

Beyond the Call of Duty.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

1. Tour of Duty
2. Mechanismo
3. Fetish

SBT

Barrington Boots

No change for me:

1. Tour of Duty
2. Trifecta
3. Mechanismo

Only Beyond the Call of Duty comes close to getting into the top three here but I wouldn't have said it was an epic, personally.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tomwe

My trio remains:

1) Trifecta

2) Mechanismo

3) Tour of Duty

Dark Jimbo

Well I missed the chance to waffle about it last time; my top spot is Tour of Duty , which I can see dominating most of the rest of the tournament. And why not? I love Dredd isolated, frustrated, trying to make the best of his exile; I love his merry band of screw-ups (perenially unlucky Heck in particular); I love Sinfield as a villain - Dredd could face ranting madmen in his sleep at this point, but a career beaurocrat was a different matter; I love PJ as Mayor, and I love PJ vs Sinfield. It's all good!

Mechanismo clings on in there.

And I think I have to go for Trifecta again, even though objectively it's got real issues.

Would have loved to buck the prevailing trend and vote for the new crowd, but BtCoD is soild but not too remarkable; Dark Justice hits all the story beats we've seen before; I don't love Fetish too much, and I haven't read the Krong stories.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

1. Tour of Duty
2. Mechanismo
3. Trifecta

No change!

AlexF

1) Tour of Duty
2) Fetish
3) Krong Island (I'm aware this is a real reach to define as an epic but I love me some Lynch Dredd vs Ape action)

Is City of the Damned finally going to fall by the wayside?? Strong as some of the imagery and ideas are, I dare anyone to actually read it all through right now and tell me they find it satisfying all the way to the end.
(Mind you, we're still not quite at the stage of 'this epic is exciting and beautiful and 100% satisfying all the way through')

broodblik

I am surprised that City of Damned lasted so long.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 15 March, 2021, 11:38:38 AM
I am surprised that City of Damned lasted so long.

I quite agree there is such affection for it but having re-read it relatively recently (it was at the other end of my Prog Slog) some lovely art aside its really poor.

Still this is the beauty of a tourney like this - it doesn't matter what we think as individuals the voice of the people will stand!