Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Judge Hershey vs. Metalzoic Round 2 Heat 70

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 March, 2022, 06:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Richard

Igor Goldkind's stories were good, so I'm voting for Judge Hershey

sheridan

Quite a bit of good stuff appeared in the pre-CJ Hershey stories, but it's all up against Metalzoic, so no contest (I'm lucky enough to have a copy of the colour version as well as the progs - and if I was Ruler of the IP I'd reprint it in a bumper colour and black and white edition).

IndigoPrime

Same. HC. Colour and B+W art. Sketches (if anything remains). Mills and others talking about how the story came to be. Every scrap of cover art and pin-ups.

Link Prime

sheridan

For those not in the know - Rebellion would be up for it, Mills would be up for it (or at least would have been up until that parting of the ways last year), O'Neill would be up for it - it's just DC blocking everything!

JayzusB.Christ

Metalzoic by miles. Pat was at the peak of his talents back then. And who else could have illustrated that other than Kev O'Neill?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Metalzoic.

Even though (and this is not usual with O'Neill's work) I found it really hard to work out what was being depicted with the black and white art as printed in the Prog. The colour GN suffers from no such issues.

Richard

What's DC's objection? It's basically just free money for them.

Big_Dave

What's DC's objection? It's basically just free money fo

kelv oneil want to recolor it (cost money)

Colin YNWA

Have to wonder how well Metalzoic would have done if DC had allowed a reprint and this classic was in more folks hands. As it is its storming this one and the offical announcement will follow in the morning.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Big_Dave on 17 March, 2022, 08:35:35 PMkelv oneil want to recolor it (cost money)
If that's the case, it sounds like DC isn't the blocker, but Kevin O'Neill is. Where did you hear about that? Personally, I don't see why it would need recolouring. These comics are of their time, and Metalzoic's audience would be very... specific. Maybe the thinking is that with more modern colouring, the book would have greater appeal. A pity, though, if this is what's stopping a reprint. It's such a great and odd strip, and it deserves a wider audience.

JayzusB.Christ

Does it matter that I pronounced it 'Metal-zoyk' till a few short years ago?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Pretty straightforward one this, though not entirely onesided as Judge Hershey (not Hershey) gets deserved votes. That said it the end of the road for all Barbara's iterations are now done for and

Metalzoic

will be reprinting votes in Round 3.