Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Middenface McNulty vs. Shako Round 2 Heat 71

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 March, 2022, 06:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 9 and it might be the excitement wearing off, or just exhaustion with the relentless nature of all this but this week is a little weak. By a quick count only two of the thrills here were in the Premier league entrants who passed straight into Round 2. That said it's the lesser thrills, those that cause you to stretch the Thrill Bank to remember that these early rounds are designed for. So let's embrace these lesser lights and discuss things that are otherwise consigned to the past.

Shako, the darling of the guest appearance, having cameoed in Armoured Gideon, Kingdom and Dredd (kinda) has really been thrust back into the limelight in recent times. The first new thrill, replacing Flesh when it finished is a thrill we just can't forget. As for Middenface, well is he better as a co-star rather than a series lead?

Middenface McNulty - more info

Vs

Shako - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 20th March  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

Both were average at best for me so this is a case were I do not mind which of the two goes into the next round
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Middenface is probably better as a foil for Johnny rather than a lead. As it's a pretty classic early Thrill and is being recognised through recent revivals, I'm going with Shako.

IndigoPrime

Barrington Boots

Shako here too. It's a classic story and a great conceit.
I'm not really a fan of Middenface solo - he works fine as part of an ensemble cast but I don't like him as a lead and I do find him a bit grating.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

Worth pointing out that Young Middenface has already been booted out of the tourney, so the only stories we're voting for here are Wun Man an' His Dug (Grant/McCrea) and Grannibal (Grant/Goddard).

So on that basis... it has to be Shako. Sorry, McNulty.

@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Thanks, Dark J! Was about to point out the same thing, too. Middenface's two solo outings were anarchic fun, but not quite as anarchic or as fun as death by giant teeth, which reliably came in most episodes.

Shako it is!

Middenface has arguably been the lead in a bunch of Strontium Dog stories, not least the first two books 'Life and Death of Johnny Alpha', and he was great in them - I think it would be possible to have a crack at him as the sole lead of his own stories, and given McCrea's work on him before, it might not be dreadfully rude to the memory of Ezquerra?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 17 March, 2022, 10:04:23 AM
Middenface has arguably been the lead in a bunch of Strontium Dog stories, not least the first two books 'Life and Death of Johnny Alpha', and he was great in them...

Great point! Yeah, a case could be made that LaDoJA Book I is really a Middenface story. Still voting Shako, though.

I do have to say it makes me genuinely sad that we'll never see McNulty again, except in the odd cameo. I want to know how he feels about life with only one arm! (Probably something along the lines of 'Weel, I spent enough time legless...'
@jamesfeistdraws

Huey2

Genuinely surprised by this one.

Middenface McNulty - an unacknowledged highlight of the Meg - a lot of fun and genuinely funny. Middenface's Granny and her dog deserved further appearances. Some of McCrea's best artwork too.

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 March, 2022, 09:49:12 AM
Worth pointing out that Young Middenface has already been booted out of the tourney, so the only stories we're voting for here are Wun Man an' His Dug (Grant/McCrea) and Grannibal (Grant/Goddard).

Actually yes that's a very god point and I should have flagged it... but you have so... alll good.