Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Tor Cyan vs. Tharg the Mighty Round 2 Heat 94

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 April, 2022, 06:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So as we enter the second half of the tourney energy is no doubt flagging. We're all getting a bit sick of this nonsense and wondering can it possibly keep up the excitement and is it all just a bit too ... BOOM!... Hell the first full week of the second half of the tourney reminds us why we're here with a BLISTERING start and to be frank the quality just keeps on coming. WOW if energy was flagging the ties this week will bring us right back into the zone

Fascinating tie this one. The thrills might not be of the quality of some of the previous stories but we have a couple this week (one tomorrow) that I just can't call, I simply don't know which way they will go. Will nostalgia for Mighty Ones solo efforts overcome the fact they were actually often pretty rubbish? Let's find out...

Tor Cyan - more info

Vs

Tharg the Mighty - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday April 9th and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

BPP

Art on Tor was immense. But it's Tharg (or secretly a vote for Alec Trench)
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

abelardsnazz

I know there's love on here for TC but I found it a bit flat, so I'm going for Old Green Bonce.

Tharg the Mighty.

IndigoPrime

Tor Cyan in Mercy Heights didn't really make it more intriguing. Tor Cyan on his own was great. It had a lot of impact, which was in part down to the art, but I thought the scripts were solid too. I'd have happily seen the strip continue.

Tharg the Mighty strips... I always find them tiresome. I recall when an issue of Best of 2000 AD Monthly was only Tharg strips. Quite the nadir. The whole thing felt self-important in a manner 2000 AD never otherwise does. So: Tor Cyan, by a country mile.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Tharg! Those early TMO stories were magnificent. Tor Cyan I'm afraid never really landed for me, despite some great art.

SBT

broodblik

I will go for Tor Cyan just because the Tharg the Mighty tales mostly where average to weak
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

I'm an unapologetic Tor Cyan fan. Re-reading recently did nothing to change that. The Kev Walker episodes are genuinely some of my favourite-ever action comics - it's as good as any of the old Rogue stories.

Tharg the Mighty strips are too often like having a tooth extraction without anaesthetic.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Rogue Trooper mets er....sorry zzzzzz.

Whilst Tharg always came across as pompous in his own tales, that was kinda the point. And they were a lot more fun that a load of so called "comedy" strips.

AlexF

Two thrills that i get why people support but neither ever really struck me. Sure, some of the Walker and Jock art on Tor Cyan was striking. And sure, popmpous git Tharg can be fun, but the stories around him are always big nothings. See also Tor Cyan. Im tempted to abstain! But thats too easy.

I think on the strength of the art, im going with bloody Tharg. Bit of Ezquerra, bit of Dorey, lots of Bradbury...

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

tharg the mighty - because it was real, because it was a documentary strip. i remember travelling to king's reach tower to confirm that it really was a spaceship in disguise. and you know what? there was no question about it. only ignorant non-readers argued otherwise, patronisingly.

Huey2

Tharg the Mighty for a mid 400s trilogy:Burt the paperweight, the Beast and the return of Psmith.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.