Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Alienist vs. Ace Trucking Co. Rd 3 Heat 26

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 May, 2022, 07:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 4 has the full range of ties. From probably one of the most one sided match-ups we will see this round... and when I say probably, I mean definitely. To a couple of absolute stinkers. There is as you might imagine plenty in between as well.

A real... wait for it, wait for it... A LIST tie this one. HA! See what I did, do you... see... see... what I did... do you... see...

Alienist beat Strange Cases and Skip Tracer; Ace Trucking Co out raced HAVN and I'm gettin' me coat...

Alienist - more info

Vs

Ace Trucking Co - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 2nd June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Magnetica

I have come to a conclusion on how to vote in this tournament.

Where there is a strip that was brilliant but then became less so in later series, I'm just going to ignore the later series, and vote based on the earlier stuff only.

So Ace Trucking takes this easily.

abelardsnazz

norton canes

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Aaron A Aardvark

I really hated Ace when it first appeared. Now I can see that visually it's a tour-de-force but still...

Alienist

AlexF

I like the Alienist a lot, might even be my third fave 'thrill beginning with A' - but Ace Trucking is in the top two. It's a powerful nostalgia hit for me, not to mention a triumph of character design and holder of reliable belly laughs up until that final series.

Ace Trucking Co. - any space, any time.

sheridan

Ace Trucking Co, because of Belardinelli (and the comedy from the Wagner Grant Combine at their height)

Funt Solo

Ace Trucking Co. was one of those thrills that launched during the blissful era of staggered launches that brought us Nemesis (prog 222), Rogue Trooper (228), then Ace Trucking (232). All while Judge Dredd was going through an amazing sequence at the top of its game (Judge Death Lives, Diary of a Mad Citizen, Assault on I-Block-4 and The Hotdog Run) just prior to launching into Block Mania.

In amongst all of that, Ace Trucking provided some light relief while still being well told and beautifully crafted by Belardinelli. This was the era that loved its content - so we also got the Space Trucker's Dictionary in four cut-out-and-pamphlet pieces.

Of course when we're considering our votes we need to focus on the best they had to offer us - and Ace managed great little arcs like The Great Mush Rush, Last Lug to Abbo Dabbo and the superlative (and perhaps high water mark of) Too Many Bams.

Much as I enjoyed The Alienist - it's not got the same heart, and there's not much in the comic these days that gets the meta-attention these old thrills had lavished upon them.

Ace Trucking Co.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Link Prime

Ace Trucking Co. because of nostalgia - but also all the good stuff.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ace Trucking Co. because The Alienist sits at the very bottom of my personal Thrill-pile, just above Counterfeit Girl.

SBT