Main Menu

Gay Dredd .....lol

Started by Fatboydale, 25 January, 2013, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Adventurer

Just because a person is straight, doesn't mean they're not interested in more gay characters in comics. Or exploration of homosexuality in comics in general.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 January, 2013, 12:37:22 AM
Just because a person is straight, doesn't mean they're not interested in more gay characters in comics. Or exploration of homosexuality in comics in general.

That's true but I doubt you'll find many straight people remotely interested in explorations of homosexuality in comics.

Mardroid

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 January, 2013, 12:26:32 AM
Seeing as gay males are a minority I don't think the readership would increase that much to replace those lost and I can't see many others being brought in.

I'm not convinced it will lose that many readers though. These negative vocal types are themselves a minority in my view.

AlpineNewt

Massive spoiler, I read this on.. can't remember, either aint it cool news or bleedin cool news...
...Anyway, very spoilery, wish I hadn't read it, read at own peril, you have been warned etc

SPOILER
[spoiler]It's not Dredd, it's a gay club where people dress as either Dredd or a perp[/spoiler]

COMMANDO FORCES

The Adventurer

That spoiler is a complete non-spoiler for anyone who actually knows anything about Dredd, Dredd's world, and how a typical one-off Dredd strip usually goes.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

COMMANDO FORCES

I can't believe you've spoilt the spoiler ;)

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Rebellion are still rookies at this publicity game.

They need to kill Dredd, wait five months and then bring him back to life. Newspapers fall for that one every single time...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 January, 2013, 12:40:40 AM

That's true but I doubt you'll find many straight people remotely interested in explorations of homosexuality in comics.

Why?

Exploration of homosexuality offer as many interesting story opportunities as any other aspect of sexuality.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 January, 2013, 07:46:31 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 January, 2013, 12:40:40 AM

Why?

Exploration of homosexuality offer as many interesting story opportunities as any other aspect of sexuality.

true, but if that was what we wanted we would watch a soap opera. 

Toni Scandella

That single image would make a good t-shirt.

I am not sure that there are very many people who would object to the point where the comic would lose any readers just because a one off strip focused on a gay character, even if there is a Judge fetish undertone.  How many readers left in disgust when Devlin Waugh was running?  It seems pretty clear - and I won't sopiler tag this because it is just an opinion based on what I know about the character and the comic (gathered through reading every single prog, meg and special) - that Dredd will not be snogging lots of boys or coming out of the closet and won't be trading in his Law Books for any pamphlets on gay pride any time soon.

As a publicity stunt, it has people talking a lot over on Facebook, it has got Dredd in the papers, and a tiny vocal minority of people objecting whether they consider themselves to be homophobes or not doesn't chjange the fact that this story looks like it could be an interesting exploration (in six pages) of a side of Mega City life that hasn't really been explored before, apart from the occasional gay character and the occasional gay club being a location in a story.

The Prodigal

I agree that its a very interesting and legitimate angle to pursue. Actually as someone who has only been reading for one year one of my head scratchers as regards dredd is that seemingly asexual aspect of his character. You would need chemically altered to be as devoid of the sexual component as Dredd seems to be and thats factoring in his obsessive approach to being a judge.

Looking forward to the story-line.

Halo572

Recently, although I can't remember exactly when, there was a cover where Dredd was killed, although my memory might not be exact and it might have been the page inside or last page of the last issue.

Whatever, it clearly showed him dying from a headshot on his bike.

Yet, low and behold it turns out it wasn't him at all but another judge in front of him.  But everything was pointed at it being him.

Pretty cheap and you didn't really believe it anyway, more so when you get batches and can read straight away and not have to wait a week to find out.

Same with this.  Is 'Dredd' gay? 

Damn them, they got us again by making us think it was him and it turned out not to be.

Even after 35 years they still get me every time.

Frank

What's the problem? Johnny Alpha and Wulf Sternhammer were obviously a couple and nobody kicked up a fuss about them. "Easy there, big fella" ...