Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 14 March, 2023, 09:32:44 AMNot a Walsh, but my cousins are.  Their uncles include my dad and a Walsh that some people on this board have probably seen on TV (doing gardening and home improvement stuff).

My first thought was Bradley, before I read the bit in brackets. Sheridan is a common surname in my town, though I think it's your first name?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 March, 2023, 11:58:23 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 14 March, 2023, 09:32:44 AMNot a Walsh, but my cousins are.  Their uncles include my dad and a Walsh that some people on this board have probably seen on TV (doing gardening and home improvement stuff).

My first thought was Bradley, before I read the bit in brackets. Sheridan is a common surname in my town, though I think it's your first name?

Yep - my family name is Kelly - we did some family tracing not long ago.  Our family lived around what was London and is now Central London (including just around the corner from the present Forbidden Planet, two centuries ago) and before that Limerick.

The Legendary Shark

First Republic Bank - domino #3.

Cash under the mattress time.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

James O'Brien detailing how language used in Britain in the 30s (about European Jews fleeing Nazi Germany and being deported as "illegals") is very similar to that being used by Suella Braverman, the Tories in general and the British press.

Refugees on small boats are *not* illegal, says James O'Brien | LBC

Nothing to do with a football pundit, although the newly "gagged" Lineker did post this on Twatter:

"...however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away."

---

And, to try to stay on topic: Gary Lineker means "Spear in a Flax-Field". My real name means "Messenger in a Flax-Settlement". Lots of flax around.

James O'Brien means "Substitute Exalted One"
Funt Solo means "Peaceful Germanic Currency".
Ken Niemand means "Handsome New Man".
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

Hawkmumbler

I really don't wish to bring the rather sombre core at the heart of this matter down to the level of silliness, but my full name mean 'The Lord Has Remembered."

Quite what he has remembered, eludes me even to this day.

The Legendary Shark

We could have a great time RPGing with these names.

Messenger in a Flax-Settlement accidentally farts, attracting four Level Six Godpletons. The Lord Has Remembered casts a spell of befuddlement on the Godpletons (throw a D10) and Wargod Pigwatcher runs away (throw a D6).

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 March, 2023, 06:49:25 PMI really don't wish to bring the rather sombre core at the heart of this matter down to the level of silliness, but my full name mean 'The Lord Has Remembered."

Quite what he has remembered, eludes me even to this day.

Pity Pat's left us; there could have been a bit part for you in Defoe.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 March, 2023, 07:13:03 PMWe could have a great time RPGing with these names.

Messenger in a Flax-Settlement accidentally farts, attracting four Level Six Godpletons. The Lord Has Remembered casts a spell of befuddlement on the Godpletons (throw a D10) and Wargod Pigwatcher runs away (throw a D6).

I beleive the normal parlance is to "roll" a die, instead of "throw"ing it, but  I prefer the mental image of RPG opponents pelting each other with platonic polyhedra.
You may quote me on that.

M.I.K.

My full name means "devotee of Saint Columba - God is gracious - church".

None of my family is religious, (despite Jesus apparently being my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, or whatever).

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: M.I.K. on 15 March, 2023, 12:21:31 AMNone of my family is religious, (despite Jesus apparently being my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, or whatever).

So what you're telling us is your ancestor took a gap year in Jerusalem and decided to make it his/her personality.

Got ya.

The Legendary Shark

Credit Suisse and now Deutsche Bank - what domino number are we up to now?

Not to worry, though - I'm sure the Central Bank Digital Currencies will solve everything. How lucky that these will be ready to go soon, to save us from, er, the mismanagement of the central banks...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Seems our "government" thinks it's a good idea to sell depleted uranium shells to Ukraine. Given the long-lasting and devastating effects still being suffered by human beings in Iraq, this is utterly monstrous.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JohnW

I've been teaching a lot of military history in recent years, and although I'm a lefty peacenik and I try to be objective and scholarly, I can't deny that I retain a little boy's fascination for things that go kablooie.
But I don't have much stomach for it this past year and this news disgusts and depresses me.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Tjm86

Quote from: M.I.K. on 15 March, 2023, 12:21:31 AMMy full name means "devotee of Saint Columba - God is gracious - church".

None of my family is religious, (despite Jesus apparently being my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, or whatever).

I'm sorry but anyone who would like to claim this sort of ancestry needs to review Mr Ennis' analysis of the full genetic evolution of the Jesuit family tree.  One that leaves the Windsor family tree looking utterly normal ...

M.I.K.

Dinnae blame me, I'm just stating what the Dan Brown types would have you believe, (although re: my comment on the previous page, it is quite likely that I'm distantly related to David Mitchell).

I've no wish to actually be descended from Jesus, and to be honest, he'd probably be considered the black shepherd of the family, (coincidentally an occupation you needn't go too far back to find within my actual family tree).