Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT art droid - QUARTERS - Henry Flint or D’Israeli

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 January, 2021, 06:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 January, 2021, 10:41:40 AM
It'd be interesting also to go into another reality and see how these votes would play out if people weren't keeping count. There does sometimes seem to be a bit of "oh, I didn't realise X was behind, and so I'm giving my vote to Y"!

We all are in lockdown what else are we going to do?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

I, Cosh

Don't have time right now to write the treatise these two deserve. Both comfortably up there with the all-time greats and still continually giving us new and exciting work.

Henry Flint by a nose.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

WOW!

Just WOW!

I counted this last night as I knew it was close and we tend not to get many votes over night in the UK. I knew I'd have to recount so got ahead. I've recounted of course this morning and that has confirmed the result.

I love D'Israeli don't get me wrong. His style is fresh, exciting and conveys the right story like no other can. But for me however Henry Flint is 2000ad. He's the absolute definitive artist. He has clear and precise storytelling and character work. His art is so dynamic and has a real sharp edge. He's creative and imaginative with a touch of madness like few others. He is thrilling. He's my favourite 2000ad artist ever.

And that's why I love this tourney, as the fact its based on art makes it so much more subjective and able to throw up surprises... just wish those surprises weren't against artists I love AND this one is the biggest - wel through the prism of my biase - I thought we'd have a Colin MacNeil vs Henry Flint final on this side... turns out I'm rubbish at predicting this as

D'Israeli

Is through to the semi finals. If he can get more votes than Henry Flint can anyone stop him?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

WOW is right, this is a shocking result! I was hoping for Flint as well. Colin MacNeil vs Henry Flint would have been nearly impossible for me to decide, I guess that final vote will be easier now...

Rogue Judge

D'Israeli is great, I just prefer Flint. Although not 2000AD, Kingdom of the Wicked is fantastic!

broodblik

Rogue do not discard Simon Fraser. I am sure he will go trough to the next round. Although I have a favourite artists I am more in believer that certain artists and their styles are better suited for certain series. I cannot see Flint doing Stickelback and I do not like D'Isreali's take on Dredd. Niemand could have done Shakara quite like Flint did it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 29 January, 2021, 07:20:02 AM
Rogue do not discard Simon Fraser....

I don't think at this stage you can discount anyone... well I can't. Firstly the draw can be a cruel mistress. Secondly viewwed through my lens these tourneys are throwing up what I see as surprised right left and centre. Third everyone is such a talent at this point. I'm out the prediction game now!

Quote from: broodblik on 29 January, 2021, 07:20:02 AM
...I am sure he will go trough to the next round. Although I have a favourite artists I am more in believer that certain artists and their styles are better suited for certain series. I cannot see Flint doing Stickelback and I do not like D'Isreali's take on Dredd. Niemand could have done Shakara quite like Flint did it.

That's the funny thing, reason I say I think I see Henry Flint as the definitive 2000ad artist I literally can't imagine a strip his style would bring something to and he'd make work. That's not to say better or worse than a different artist, or typical artist for a given strip but that he'd bring something different to the party and make that strip his own and really work for him.

TordelBack