Main Menu

tom cruise is right

Started by eggonlegs, 03 August, 2007, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggonlegs

Floyd-the-k

He may well be right, but about what? I can't watch the video on that site.

yours, not really fussed

JOE SOAP

Is this publicity for the clams?

Peter Wolf

Just googled that link and it couldnt be found .Not interested anyway.    The Church of Giveusyermoneyology.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Richmond Clements

No different to any other church in that respect then, eh Peter?

Personally, I find it strange that people pick up on Cruise's beliefs for ridicule, while at the same time holding on to the idea that a carpenter healed the sick and then came back from the dead 2000 years ago.

Huey2

Scott "Dilbert" Adams had it right when he said that Tom Cruise's big mistake was picking the only religion which was wrong.

JOE SOAP

***Scott "Dilbert" Adams had it right when he said that Tom Cruise's big mistake was picking the only religion which was wrong.***

so all other Religions are right then?, they're all equally insane.

IndigoPrime

True, but few these days stoop to the level Scientology does, which has a mentality akin to Christianity during the crusades. The "religion" practices methodology of "fair game", which basically means it's considered fine to utterly destroy the lives (and even kill) of anyone critical of the "church". While there are extremists in other religions (although, frankly, I think "cult" is a better description of Scientology), it's not basic practice to destroy those critical of your beliefs.

I would also comment on the likes of Lisa McPherson, but I guess one could argue that many other religions have odd beliefs regarding medical care (such as  Jehovahâ??s Witnesses stating that their/the Bible prohibits the storage and transfusion of blood).

Huey2

"***Scott "Dilbert" Adams had it right when he said that Tom Cruise's big mistake was picking the only religion which was wrong.***

so all other Religions are right then?, they're all equally insane"

- that was kinda' his point. It being strange that it's acceptable to pick on the scientologists for being wrong but you can't mock any other beliefs. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my paraphrasing.

- Huey

Peter Wolf

Certainly not.  The Church of we will take your money ology.I am not religous in the slightest but i like the buildings and architecture.The first church service i went to when i was ten i managed to eat 3 packets of Hula Hoops   without being caught. I just find it boring. Like that episode of Mr.Bean where he kept falling asleep during a church service.

Eric Plumrose

The worst thing a Jehovah's Witness would expect to happen in the event of a successful blood transfusion being accepted is that he or she will be disfellowshipped.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

TordelBack

Most religions have the saving grace of being a least a couple of centuries old and based on the writings/divine transcriptions of some inspired greybeard, and thus their sillier beliefs or vaguer justifications can be passed off by the sophisticated modern adherent as the views of an earlier time or culture, while the 'core truths' can be seen to transcend that reassuringly distant context, and indeed have accrued perceived value because they have 'endured the test of time'.  (That's quite a long sentence, apologies)

Scientology was invented by a (very, very, very bad) SF writer fifty years ago.  It's just not a convincing pedigree when your religion could easily have appeared in Astounding.

The younger a 'current' religion is the sillier it seems - the Mormons/LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses spring to mind.  The tale of Holy Joe Smith (on topic!), the gold plates and the Angel Moroni seems a lot sillier than Moses, the stone tablets and Yaweh simply because it takes place in ramiliar and unmystical near-modern America rather than an unspecified desert somewhere between Egypt and Palestine in the Bronze Age. It's the same gloss of antiquity that seperates Oedipus (High Art!) from a bad Eastenders storyline (Low Shite!).

It's all shades of the same guff - as Dawkins says, I just believe in one less god than you.

Peter Wolf

Jehovahs witnesses give away a quarter of their income each year to their organisation.

Scientologists are trying to abolish all forms of psychiatry and psychology.They think  "aliens" or "Thetans" as they call them are living in your brain . Get rid of your Thetans by joining the Church of Gullibility ,  Sorry i meant to say Scientology.

Try not to laugh.

I, Cosh

It being strange that it's acceptable to pick on the scientologists for being wrong but you can't mock any other beliefs.

Round my manor it's perfectly acceptable to mock, ridicule and generally sneer at any form of religious belief.
We never really die.

mogzilla

Religious debate on the 2000ad site? My brother would love this (in a scarily scojoish way,mind)

Me? i just think we'll find out who's right when our time comes.

I do remember a documentary called"charriots of the gods " hosted by william shatner waaaay back when top-loading videos were cutting edge technology which thinking about it was a scientology recruiting wotsit,( the first ever film we watched on video was "clash of the titans"-not relevant but i thought i'd share that) It was basically saying that we were an experiment by aliens and supported all the theories that the pyramids etc were built by e.t.