Main Menu

The Wire........

Started by robbycox, 07 April, 2008, 04:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Tried watching this myself recently, and in all honesty I found it a bit too slow and boring to hold my attention. Didn't make it to the end of episode 1.

I think the overwhelming critical praise for it is putting me off a little, like when everyone tells you you should hang out with someone because you have a lots in common, and you find yourself hating them before you've even met. The serious, bleak subject matter makes watching it kind of feel a bit like sitting an exam also.

I'm sure I'd love it if I gave it a chance, but not sure I have the attention span to watch enough of it to get into it.

mogzilla

its one of those series i've heard is good but never seen like :
deadwood
spooks

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 August, 2011, 02:55:39 PM
And if it gets better than this, well, I cannot wait!
It does and there are many, many great scenes to come. Bunk and McNulty's CSI riff springs to mind.
We never really die.

Goaty

Richmond Clements

Watched a couple more last night- the scene with D'Anjelo (sp) teaching the other two boys to play chess should have been cliched rubbish, but was actually incredible.
Oh, and he's a [spoiler]murdering drug dealer[/spoiler], so why am I feeling for him? Brilliant!

Proudhuff

Rich welcome to the fold and don't wait so long to watch Treme, another fine fine series, its what Lovefilm is for!!
DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 August, 2011, 11:59:13 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 August, 2011, 02:55:39 PM
And if it gets better than this, well, I cannot wait!
It does and there are many, many great scenes to come. Bunk and McNulty's CSI riff springs to mind.

Saw this one last nigt- wonderful stuff!
So much so that we did think of spending an entire day communicating by just using the word "Fuck."

Mudcrab

Quote from: radiator on 15 August, 2011, 07:12:16 PM
Tried watching this myself recently, and in all honesty I found it a bit too slow and boring to hold my attention. Didn't make it to the end of episode 1.

I think the overwhelming critical praise for it is putting me off a little, like when everyone tells you you should hang out with someone because you have a lots in common, and you find yourself hating them before you've even met. The serious, bleak subject matter makes watching it kind of feel a bit like sitting an exam also.

I'm sure I'd love it if I gave it a chance, but not sure I have the attention span to watch enough of it to get into it.

Stick with it! I know exactly what you mean about the "hype" of it though. I'd watched it when it was just a mate saying, "this is ace" rather than the whole world and their glowing reviews, so was easier to just stick with it. I've been guilty of going on about how great it is to friends that then found it a bit boring after just the one episode. You only get to the really appreciative stage once you've got through a fair bit of the first season, or probably around the scene described above  :D

I think I was hooked after the scene mentioned above though.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Goaty

Empireonline did nice feature about Where are the Wire Cast?

http://www.empireonline.com/features/what-the-wire-cast-did-next/

And please, Richard, dont reading it till you completed the Wire Seasons.

Keef Monkey

I adored The Wire, but like most folks it didn't grab me initially. It was about episode 4 I think that it just became incredibly compulsive, I could not stop watching it. I had to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks while working overtime through in Edinburgh, and literally spent every moment I wasn't working or sleeping working my way through Wire boxsets. Fantastic.

Buttonman

In less than one month I shall be walking the street of Baltimore, Murderland seeking out the corners, the boarded up houses and Omar's favourite corner shop. I may not return.

It is great 'The Wire' but if we're playing 'Desert Island Box Sets' I'd take 'Breaking Bad', 'The Shield' and 'The Unit' in that order.

Richmond Clements

Latest episode had Steve Earle's first apperance.
Now, I'm a massive fan of his, and knowing his life story as I do and how much of his speech was true, I don't mind admitting that I was in tears.

Goaty

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 August, 2011, 10:45:37 AM
Latest episode had Steve Earle's first apperance.
Now, I'm a massive fan of his, and knowing his life story as I do and how much of his speech was true, I don't mind admitting that I was in tears.

Oh he's brilliant! If you are his fan, you would love this; Earle's song "I Feel Alright" is used in a montage to close out season two. He also performs the opening theme of the fifth season, performing "Way Down in the Hole," a song written by Tom Waits.

Richmond Clements

QuoteHe also performs the opening theme of the fifth season, performing "Way Down in the Hole," a song written by Tom Waits.

Yup- it's on his 'Washington Square Serenade' album.

Hoagy

I do like how they shift performers in a smart way. Singing that opening piece, each series.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract