Main Menu

Death of Slaine

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 07 December, 2009, 06:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin MacNeil

Does Slaine's death really have to be resolved? Why can't It just finish, whereever and whenever that is. And then just, reboot it! Take it back to it's original feel. Lose the celto-hippy fantasy themes. Take it back to 12,000BC. Properly prehistoric!
Imagine the beginning of the"new" Slaine. Riding on the back of a giant Auroch, a pair of twin stone axes by his side. Wrapped in the fur of a great cave bear, which he personally had killed, to keep him warm in this harsh proto-european wilderness. Staring across the new wildernesses left from the retreat of the last ice age. Wodering where his travels will take him and who, or what, he will meet in this new world. The modern age of man has just begun. The bow, farmimg, fisheries, domestication of dogs, and other animals, the rise of pottery and technologies of all sorts. The real age of the gods. Not the namy-pamby imagery we are all used to seeing, but the real heroes of the human race. This was the time when man first really began to tame the savage world. By all means have wooly mammoths, sabre-tooth lions, neanderthals etc. Perhaps the last degenerant remnants of the age of dinosaurs!
Think of it as a hardcore version of Wolf-brother by Michelle Paver, with the screenplay by John Milius (the guy who did the first Conan movie) or Peter Jackson! But with all the H.G.Wells-ian fantasy elements we all like.
It's just a thought, but I'd like to read that. Heck! I'd love to draw that!

Mike Gloady

I'd like you to draw that too. 

The Campaign for McNeil on Slaine starts here....
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

COMMANDO FORCES

If you are going to draw him Colin, he's definately going to die, you Hero Killer ;)

Mike Gloady

Alpha, Chopper * .... who else has drawn their last thanks to the MacNeil droid?  Not that those two aren't enough, obviously.

* I know the end of "Song of the Surfer" was open and he wasn't necessarily DEAD, but given the quality of everything that came after, they should have left him in his grave.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry, Jim, clean forgot about the butt-fucking!
Actually I'm fond of Garth Ennis's work too, though you're right about the hobby horses thing.
Just re-read some of his old Hellblazer stuff - of course full of the Pogues, drinking, Irish politics and religion, but in my opinion some of his best stuff ever.

Thryllseekyr, I was only joking earlier...
But I've always had this idea that I'd love to see an alternative one-off version of Slaine set during the Irish independence uprisings and wars. Could well be shite, of course.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ThryllSeekyr

I never even considered you ....

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 13 December, 2009, 04:54:59 PM
Does Slaine's death really have to be resolved? Why can't It just finish, whereever and whenever that is. And then just, reboot it! Take it back to it's original feel. Lose the celto-hippy fantasy themes. Take it back to 12,000BC. Properly prehistoric!
Imagine the beginning of the"new" Slaine. Riding on the back of a giant Auroch, a pair of twin stone axes by his side. Wrapped in the fur of a great cave bear, which he personally had killed, to keep him warm in this harsh proto-european wilderness. Staring across the new wildernesses left from the retreat of the last ice age. Wodering where his travels will take him and who, or what, he will meet in this new world. The modern age of man has just begun. The bow, farmimg, fisheries, domestication of dogs, and other animals, the rise of pottery and technologies of all sorts. The real age of the gods. Not the namy-pamby imagery we are all used to seeing, but the real heroes of the human race. This was the time when man first really began to tame the savage world. By all means have wooly mammoths, sabre-tooth lions, neanderthals etc. Perhaps the last degenerant remnants of the age of dinosaurs!
Think of it as a hardcore version of Wolf-brother by Michelle Paver, with the screenplay by John Milius (the guy who did the first Conan movie) or Peter Jackson! But with all the H.G.Wells-ian fantasy elements we all like.
It's just a thought, but I'd like to read that. Heck! I'd love to draw that!

Perhaps you could do some concept art for your proposal of this Stone Age inspired Slaine and send them to Pat Mills He might like them forget all about [b[Clint[/b]. Hoestly I 'm not sure who's really in charge and how things run within the comic.

I wouldn't mind change of artist for Slaine.

With appologies to [Clint who now doesn't let go of his art-tech. The photoshopping was a interesting breath of fresh air at first, but only for one chronicle. Now Slaine needs another breath of fresh air and the photoshopping is just photographs of people surrounded by his artful application of oils. Without even a Slaine movie with real actors, the current Slaine stories keep hinting at such.

I don't know, I just find it alittle embarrassing that I 've been chasing these stories with pictures of real poeple injected into them. People I shoul have no real interest in, as I just read Slaine for the sotrry. I don't know who they are! Are they friends & family of artist, actors, models, other employee's from the publication? I have wondered why I've never seen the heads of the important 2000AD staff being used. The writers and artists. Given time to think about it, I just think Slaine should be drawn and never a photograph of  a real person.

I still think a interview the artist and his living, breathing phtographic props would be in order would great for the Megazine I guess.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 13 December, 2009, 09:54:10 PM
I don't know, I just find it a little embarrassing that I 've been chasing these stories with pictures of real people injected into them. People I should have no real interest in, as I just read Slaine for the story. I don't know who they are! Are they friends & family of artist, actors, models, other employee's from the publication? I have wondered why I've never seen the heads of the important 2000AD staff being used. The writers and artists.

Sounds to me like you're angling for a cameo, Thryll.  ;)
@jamesfeistdraws

Trout

Colin, I think that's the plot of Batman these days.

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting Colin Mc Neil....

QuoteImagine the beginning of the"new" Slaine. Riding on the back of a giant Auroch, a pair of twin stone axes by his side.

That description, of Slaine caryiung two axes conjures images Drzz't Do Urden. The famous Dark elven ranger worshipper of Milliki. Well know for weilding twn scimitars. It's a interesting concept.  

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 December, 2009, 10:05:58 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 13 December, 2009, 09:54:10 PM
I don't know, I just find it a little embarrassing that I 've been chasing these stories with pictures of real people injected into them. People I should have no real interest in, as I just read Slaine for the story. I don't know who they are! Are they friends & family of artist, actors, models, other employee's from the publication? I have wondered why I've never seen the heads of the important 2000AD staff being used. The writers and artists.

Sounds to me like you're angling for a cameo, Thryll.  ;)

Well, as long as I don't get my face pasted onto the body of a corpse, ghoul, zombie or woman. Given my real closest heritage to the old world, a Saxon cameo rather than a viking. Of course, I have some Irish blood, alot of European people do, but my Saxon heritage is closest. My new world heritage gets in the way.

Take my face from those. I don't it think matters that they are not actual photographs, as I think Clint Lanely paints/brush over everything.

Granted, these pictures are not accurate depictions of me, but rough estimations. It's due to a artist/sculpters blind spot I have.