Main Menu

Alice in Wonderland - British version Trailer

Started by Goaty, 18 December, 2009, 10:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I must admit some initial confusion. Alice aged 17? She should be more like 12. But confusion dissipated: This is indeed a return to Wonderland. They know her there. Okay, fair enough: however unnecessary, this film has something more to offer than merely re-treading a familiar text that's been adapted over and over again already. It looks spectacular, even if it does look a bit like Shrek.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Nightmare Before Christmas? 

(My favourite Christmas movie until I saw Bad Santa)

Mike Gloady

Sucked HARD. 

Bad Santa isn't too bad though.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Woolly

Finally, someone agrees with me about Nightmare Before Christmas! (Not that its a Tim Burton film, of course)

Frankly i'd rather stick cocktail sausages into my eye sockets than watch a Tim fuckin Burton film. Or a film with Helena Bonham-Carter in it.

House of Usher

Quote from: .Woolly on 27 December, 2009, 01:00:51 PM
Finally, someone agrees with me about Nightmare Before Christmas! (Not that its a Tim Burton film, of course)

Frankly i'd rather stick cocktail sausages into my eye sockets than watch a Tim fuckin Burton film. Or a film with Helena Bonham-Carter in it.

I like Tim Burton's films on the whole. And Helena Bonham Carter was lovely in Howards End and perfect for the role of Helen Schlegel.
STRIKE !!!

M.I.K.

Well I'm usually left feeling disappointed with Tim Burton's films, but I do like Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood and Corpse Bride.

Nightmare Before Christmas would have been better without the rubbish songs and Sleepy Hollow was alright but flawed and there was more than one mention of the end of the "millennium" in it, even though it's set in 1799.

TordelBack

Quote from: .Woolly on 27 December, 2009, 01:00:51 PM

Go on?  Wrote it and produced it, and it certainly looks like a Tim Burton film.  Does he have to direct it too for it to count?  Please to explain.

FWIW I have found some Burton films mildly disappointing (Big Fish, Corpse Bride, Mars Attacks) and I loathe Helena B-C, but they're always worth at least a look and sometimes really charming.  Beetlejuice, Batman Returns, Sleepy Hollow, NBC,  and (yes) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory all bear repeated re-watching.  Also thought his Sweeney Todd was rather good dark fun, and Edward Scissorhands looks magnificent..

Planet of the Apes OTOH was pure agony, not least because of the utter waste of some magnificent costumes.

Never seen Ed Wood, but really should.

House of Usher

The only Tim Burton films I'm not keen on are Planet of the Apes (noisy and unnecessary), The Corpse Bride and Sleepy Hollow, but I'd watch them all again. Sleepy Hollow in particular is one I don't mind being on in the background while I'm doing something else, but I'd be quite fidgety if I were to sit and watch it deliberately from the beginning.
STRIKE !!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 December, 2009, 08:09:08 PM

and (yes) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory all bear repeated re-watching.  

A film that bares watching time and again (well except the last 5 minutes) if for no other reason than the fact that it has the finest squirrels in cinema EVER in it.

TordelBack

Yes, the squirrels are terrific, but it's Deep Roy that steals the show for me.  Truly one of the most amazing performances by any actor in any movie.  

I'd unknowingly loved him since he played Ornella Muti's servant in the the 80's Flash Gordon (as a young lad I spent a lot of time looking at Ornella Muti) and the snail-rider guy in Never Ending Story, but then he showed up in 90's re-runs of Blake's 7, and I discovered he (allegedly) played Droopy McCool in Return of the Jedi.  Most recently, he played Scotty's troll-pal in the new Star Trek, one of the best additions IMHO and almost made Pegg's scenes bearable. What a career!

(I understand he's even in The Talons of Weng-Chang, but I don't remember enough about that one to comment.)

the shutdown man

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

das

after i read all the responses, it strikes me that while burton's movies are enjoyable when released, they really suffer more & more as time rolls along.  scissorhands is sooo clunky,  batman just sucks to rewatch, charlie seems more & more a turgid ripoff with reviewing.

and danny elfman should have retired after the second, knights of the pingo boingo album.

so there !!
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Richmond Clements

QuoteI understand he's even in The Talons of Weng-Chang, but I don't remember enough about that one to comment.

He is the Peking Homounculus.

uncle fester

I generally like Tim Burton's stuff. I think he does the whole fairy tale thing as it should be done - dark and slightly twisted. Which is how these sorts of tales really are if you read them again from an adult perspective. The only exception for me is Edward Scissorhands, which I thought was guff. This trailer at least looks promising.