Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 July, 2015, 09:49:48 AM
Sometimes, it's just the simple things. Sat out in the garden on a warm evening with a glass of wine or two, listening to multiple hedgehogs snuffling around. They seemed appreciative of the mealworms and water I'd put down for them...

(Apologies for the grainy photo — digital zoom and taken at dusk with no flash...)

Cheers

Jim

Nice one, Jim. We've got a couple of Hedgehogs living under our shed, always like to leave something out for them.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Mardroid

I saw a programme the other day suggesting they'd become endangered. The programmes suggested their sole province was a particular London park although I was a bit skeptical about that. I know they've declined in numbers, but even so. I might have misheard what the commenator was saying, to be fair. I'm sure they mean in London though, not the whole country.

I'm glad those little spikey criiters are doing well in your gardens anwyay. Thanks for sharing the photo Jim.

I think last time I saw one in the wild was in a neighbor's garden back when I lived in Hither Green (a district in Lewisham, South-East London). The middle -aged lady put out milk and stuff like that for it.

I've found out since then, that's not the type of stuff you're supposed to leave out. Your better off leaving cat food, atlhough I've no doubt meal-worms are good for them too, being close to their own natural  diet.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 July, 2015, 11:26:21 AM
I saw a programme the other day suggesting they'd become endangered. The programmes suggested their sole province was a particular London park although I was a bit skeptical about that. I know they've declined in numbers, but even so. I might have misheard what the commenator was saying, to be fair. I'm sure they mean in London though, not the whole country.

The numbers have declined catastrophically in the last fifty years — the figures I heard were 30-odd million to a million-and-a-half or so.

And, yeah, mealworms are definitely allowed. I actually bought some proper approved hedgehog food, which they completely ignored in favour of the worms. Apparently, it's really important to put water out for them in the hot weather because they dehydrate.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I always leave a bowl of water out for the cats anyway. So though I never thought of it being used by Hedgehogs, our garden backs onto a woody public park, it's nice to suddenly realise you've been helping them somewhat. I'll give the meals worms a try, thanks Jim.

Old Tankie

Wonderful start to the day; just found out a close family member has been given the all clear on a health issue; our son has got the release date for his American comic project; and me and the missus have just sung "Happy Birthday" down the phone to our wonderful four year old grand-daughter, (not sure what she made of it!!).

von Boom

Quote from: Old Tankie on 17 July, 2015, 10:14:37 AM
Wonderful start to the day; just found out a close family member has been given the all clear on a health issue; our son has got the release date for his American comic project; and me and the missus have just sung "Happy Birthday" down the phone to our wonderful four year old grand-daughter, (not sure what she made of it!!).

That does sound like a great day! More great ones to ya Tankie!

Old Tankie

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Old Tankie

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Old Tankie

Something Fishy

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 July, 2015, 11:44:48 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 11 July, 2015, 11:26:21 AM

The numbers have declined catastrophically in the last fifty years — the figures I heard were 30-odd million to a million-and-a-half or so.

And, yeah, mealworms are definitely allowed. I actually bought some proper approved hedgehog food, which they completely ignored in favour of the worms. Apparently, it's really important to put water out for them in the hot weather because they dehydrate.

Cheers

Jim

we used to get several of them around my house but sadly I haven't seen one in years.  Such a shame.

Something Fishy

Mattofthespurs

Football is nearly back  :D

Went to my first pre season friendly today to watch Peterborough v Spurs Under 21's.
Good game. 3-2 to Peterborough although they barely deserved it.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws