Main Menu

Why did the Robocop sequels SUCK?

Started by Dreddzilla, 24 September, 2010, 01:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreddzilla

There was a TON of potential with the character & his world, but it seams after
the first Film (a true MASTERPIECE) Everything went to crap.
What happened? and who do you blame?
Was Robo just a one trick pony?
Hollywood meddling with the writing/production?
Frank Miller? (I read the AVATER comic series that was based on millers original ''work''
But it was barely any better then the movie Robo 2) and it felt like a bunch of ideas strong together to make a story.

Judge Olde

I think Roboflop came about because they wanted to make a Judge Dredd film but at the time couldn't. Many many many films suck for many reasons, poor scripts or bad ideas etc - Robocop was just lazy. I think it depends how you look at it, do the films ALL suck in 2010 or did they suck at the time? Things date...

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Judge Olde on 24 September, 2010, 01:16:04 AM
I think Roboflop came about because they wanted to make a Judge Dredd film but at the time couldn't. Many many many films suck for many reasons, poor scripts or bad ideas etc - Robocop was just lazy. I think it depends how you look at it, do the films ALL suck in 2010 or did they suck at the time? Things date...
I do remember reading That the writers for Robocop were trying to combine elements of Dredd & Iron Man.
But I don't remember any studios (at the time) looking to make any Dredd movies.
And what part of ''Robo'' is lazy?

Judge Olde

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Judge Olde on 24 September, 2010, 01:23:01 AM
The sequels were lazy.
Well, that's a undeniable FACT! :lol:
I mean did they HAVE to go the stereotypical ''DRUG LORD'' route with the sequel?

Woolly

ISTR reading once that for the second film (which i love btw!) the producers wanted to go down a more 'comic-book' approach - which at the time meant a more colourful approach to filming (Robocop's suit has a bluey purple shine for example) and a script by Frank Miller.

Now, Robocop 3... thats pish!

Radbacker

yeah i can handle Robocop 2 (has an outstanding stopmotion showdown between the two Robocops at the end, possibly the last one ever done before the era of CGI), the kid villain of the piece is a wonderfully nasty piece of work.
Robocop 3 is a big pile of poop, perfect example of studio mandated rating ruining a movie.  Ninja cyborgs Vs Robocop should've been epic.

CU Radabcker

Keef Monkey

3 ran out of money during production or something, hence there are shockingly bad/unfinished looking effects in it. There's one bit that always bothers me when he's fighting one of the ninjas (oh god) and it does a backflip and the concrete floor goes all springy because of the mats they've put out for him. Dunno why in such a bad movie that's the thing that always bothers me but it does!

I really enjoyed 2 though, as mentioned it was more comic-booky and not a patch on the first, but still a great '80s sci-fi classic I reckon. I think the main problem with Robo sequels is that as a character he's very limited, and his arc was really nicely finished in the first movie. There just wasn't anywhere else to go.

James Stacey

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 24 September, 2010, 01:21:16 AM
I do remember reading That the writers for Robocop were trying to combine elements of Dredd & Iron Man.
But I don't remember any studios (at the time) looking to make any Dredd movies.
And what part of ''Robo'' is lazy?
Someone shortly will come along and post the pre production design bust of Robocop with Dredds helmet, indicating they very much had Dredd in mind.
Didn't Robocop 3 start life as a PG to engage with the toy buying demographic then they changed their mind and tacked on some extreme violence to get it back to an R so its a kids plot in an R film.

chris_askham

After the first film it seemed a bit confused as to which audience it was going for - adult or kids - and as such didn't really fit either.

Radbacker

thinking about it, when Robocop came out I was 13 or so, how the hell did I see it? must have been of VHS or something.  I think it was aimed at adults but also seemed to be one of those must see super violent flicks kids really wanted to see too (same as Evil Dead and its ilk).
I dont think I'm crazy but i also seem to remember a Robocop cartoon that came out after the movie? anyone else have this memory?

CU Radbacker

Radbacker

sorry for the double post but just quickly poped on to You Tube
I wasnt mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4Sqn0eX_Q

CU Radbacker

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Radbacker on 24 September, 2010, 11:33:45 AM
thinking about it, when Robocop came out I was 13 or so, how the hell did I see it? must have been of VHS or something.  I think it was aimed at adults but also seemed to be one of those must see super violent flicks kids really wanted to see too (same as Evil Dead and its ilk).
I dont think I'm crazy but i also seem to remember a Robocop cartoon that came out after the movie? anyone else have this memory?

CU Radbacker

I picked up the complete Robocop Cartoon Series on dvd in a pound shop a few years back! There's a good episode where he catches robo-flu and keeps sneezing electricity.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Radbacker on 24 September, 2010, 11:33:45 AM

CU Radbacker
GRUD yes! I remember some episodes.
I was disappointed when they replaced the bullets with more ''kid-friendly'' Lasers. ::)
How the hell such ''Adult'' material like Conan, Police Academy, Rambo & Robocop became kids cartoons I'll never know! :lol:

Emperor

Quote from: Radbacker on 24 September, 2010, 11:36:25 AM
sorry for the double post but just quickly poped on to You Tube
I wasnt mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4Sqn0eX_Q

That has to win a prize for the most red heads in a cartoon. Gingercop?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+