Main Menu

Life is ? because...

Started by amberkraken, 18 November, 2010, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amberkraken

Spoke to an ex-girlfriend yesterday.
She's 9 months pregnant and about to have my baby.
She had no idea, and this has been a massive shock to everyone.
Quite numb. Don't really know how to deal with this.

we shall see...

COMMANDO FORCES

Get the child a subscription  :D

Proudhuff

Quote from: amberkraken on 18 November, 2010, 11:50:16 AM
Quite numb. Don't really know how to deal with this.

A comic fanboy website is maybe not the best place to go for this kind of advice
DDT did a job on me

Beeks

Ive got a 6 month old boy and got the shock of my life earlier this week when we found out she is pregnant again...seems I can't even look at her without it happening?!  :o
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

SmallBlueThing

To be honest, I don't think Amberkraken's looking for advice. That must have hit hard. It's difficult enough when you've got a nine month run-up, so...

Good luck, sir! (Being a daddy is actually very cool)

SBT

davethomson

When I was told I was going to be a father, I felt the most approriate response was to get suicidally drunk. It worked as well as, turned out the kid wasn't mine so I celebrated by wandering around town smoking a cigar the size of a rounders bat, laughing maniacally and occasionally grabbing innocent bystanders to tell them that it is the greatest day ever.

Fuck knows how I'm going to handle it when the kid is mine...
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Minkyboy

Quote from: davethomson on 18 November, 2010, 01:04:52 PM
I think we can file that in the unhelpful drawer.

Amberkraken:
Bloody Hell, massive shock as you say.
My experience is that you are never ready to be a Father, even when expecting and chasing it.
Regardless of the surprise and circumstances now with the mother, this little child of yours is great news and will change your life for the better.
Promise  ;)

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

locustsofdeath!

Minkyboy's right. While I didn't receive quite the same shock you have, my first daughter was unplanned - when my wife (then girlfriend) told me she was pregnant I insisted the pregnancy test was broken and ran to the store to buy another for her. I was scared shitless, but as it turned out, having that baby was the blessing of my life. Good luck, mate.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Dunk!

QuoteShe had no idea

That she was pregnant?

That you were the father?

That you didn't know you were the father and that's why you hadn't contacted her?

Other?
"Trust we"

Spaceghost

I don't know how old you are Amberkraken but I received a similar shock when I was 18. Iwasn't even with the girl in question but I decided it was time to man up, get my hair cut, get a job and try to be a dad. I proposed and we got engaged, we moved in together (only after the baby was born) and tried to make a go of things.

It didn't work out between us but I've seen my son every week since then and I wouldn't change things for the world. I'm 39 now and he will be 21 in a few weeks. He's a great lad despite an unconventional family unit and despite some very wobbly teenage years. Also, he's a testament to my enduring geekdom as I named him Jason Todd (after the second Robin). Could be worse, I nearly called him Jello Biafra after the Dead Kennedys lead singer. He now says he would have prefered that.

What I'm trying to say is, don't see this as a negative. It's a beautiful experience and you can enjoy it.

At the very least you can give your baby a geeky name!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

vzzbux

With my first I was absolutely devastated as I had no feelings for the mother (who was and is still a psycho bitch. I was only with her because she was a good shag. I actually put off leaving the army for about 6 months because of her. I did the cowardly thing and dumped her while she was still pregnant thus resulting her cutting all ties with me and my girl, I should have fought it at the time but didn't want to make waves. I missed nearly 11 years of her life which is my only true regret in life. I now see her every other weekend which I am very greatful for.

I implore you not to make the same mistake as I did, make sure you are a big part of your future child's life or guaranteed you will regret it later in life.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jared Katooie

JOE SOAP

Quote from: davethomson on 18 November, 2010, 01:04:52 PM
When I was told I was going to be a father, I felt the most approriate response was to get suicidally drunk. It worked as well as, turned out the kid wasn't mine so I celebrated by wandering around town smoking a cigar the size of a rounders bat, laughing maniacally and occasionally grabbing innocent bystanders to tell them that it is the greatest day ever.

Just do exactly the same.

maryanddavid

Similar thing happened my older brother years ago, similar reaction, he now says it the best thing that has happened to him

David