Main Menu

I don't like the shoulders on the new uniform at all.

Started by ABCwarBOT, 26 July, 2011, 09:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tharg4

QuoteThe problem with that is that the whole production has adopted a realistic look - set against that background the uniform has to make sense.  I'd guess that a large part of that decision is budget, coupled with a desire to use practical sets over CGI (a very futuristic MC-1 setting would be expensive to realise with physical sets, dressing and costuming - a more near-contemporary urban dystopia more achievable), and to some extent to emulate the path followed by the Batman franchise.  The latter point bleeds over into a need to distance itself visually and thus tonally from the '90's camp of its immediate predecessor, just as Batman Begins did.

Going the realistic route could be an inspired move by the producers or a huge mistake. It is a risk because it's hard to know if fans and your average film goer will prefer a realistic, gritty version of Judge Dredd.

The big difference between Batman and Dredd is Mega-City 1 is a city of the future  and Gotham is a city of the present. The Batman franchise has to stay rooted in the present so the world it depicts can't be too over-the-top but Judge Dredd is set in the future and, in theory, anything is possible. If Batman used a teleportation device or dimension jump fans would think that is too extreme but that technology is available in Dredd's world.

Psi power is featured in the Dredd screenplay so that helps to make it feel like a sci-fi world.  :)

Steve Green

This is it exactly (Tordleback's post)

I'm not sure why some people find it so hard to understand - they may not agree with it, but it makes sense if they're going that route.

I'm out of these threads now - it's just reheating old arguments.

Richmond Clements

Quoteit's just reheating old arguments

And we've another year of it to look forward to too!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: In Orbit Every Monday on 27 July, 2011, 12:05:36 PMIf you're lactose intolerant *and* like avocados read on -
Also, take bananas past their best, slice and freeze them overnight. Then put them in the blender for lovely banana not-ice-cream. Add optional strawberries and syrup.

DrRocka

...actually, how DO you stop bananas from going off? They only seem to last about two days in the fruit bowl, then they're brown! does anyone have any life changing suggestions?
Never ever bloody anything ever

Dunk!

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 July, 2011, 01:40:39 PM
Quoteit's just reheating old arguments

And we've another year of it to look forward to too!

A whole year.

Of this.

:(
"Trust we"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 July, 2011, 01:23:38 PMI'd guess that a large part of that decision is budget
Which also impacted on the 1995 film. Notice that Dredd is the ONLY judge to wear an eagle, bar the one he beats up, strips naked and steals a uniform from at the end of the film.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dunk! on 27 July, 2011, 02:02:24 PM
A whole year.

Of this.

Chin* up, old love - we haven't even got onto double cones or mint-flavour Ice Magic yet.  And as for baked alaska recipes, why that should see us through to the New Year alone.

*No size specified.

COMMANDO FORCES

Bananas should not be kept with other fruit due to something that the missus knows about. They release a gas/compound thingy that ripens everything quicker. So we have a banana tree to keep ours separate!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 July, 2011, 02:09:41 PM
Bananas should not be kept with other fruit due to something that the missus knows about. They release a gas/compound thingy that ripens everything quicker. So we have a banana tree to keep ours separate!
The best way to keep them separate is to put them in the freezer and turn them into fake ice-cream. TRUE FACT. This also enables you to take revenge on the bendy fruit for not having broad enough shoulders.

blackmocco

Quote from: Krombasher on 27 July, 2011, 07:17:18 AM
You unhook the badge from the suit and pull the zipper. His big scarred chest puffs out with greying fur of Sean Connery standards as you unclip the belt and carry on unzipping to... as he shifts his super big shoulder armour off and pulls off a glove. But the main thing is you unhook the badge first silly.

I'll get my coat...

Almost forty years I've been asking myself that question! Haha!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

SmallBlueThing

The ancient banana question is easily solved: you can eat them when they are brown. This is, in fact, the 'ripe' stage of the fruit and not 'off'. They taste just as yummy.
SBT

Dandontdare

Ok enough nonsense has ben talked about on this thread, time to set things straight.

Soft or brown bananas CAN be eaten, but so can dogshit. They are vile if not firm and yellow (or even still a bit green).

I thought it was oranges that ripened other fruit - especially bananas. But I may be wrong.

And don't get me started on pears - they're rock hard for about a month, ripe for about ten minutes and then they go off. Ridiculous fruit.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 July, 2011, 03:44:03 PM
Soft or brown bananas CAN be eaten, but so can dogshit. They are vile if not firm and yellow (or even still a bit green).

Brown bananas* are a valid budgetary choice DDD, and I'd certainly prefer them to green ones - no true banana fan would ever eat a green banana, even if they are inexplicably popular in certain quarters.

*God I miss Roger.