Main Menu

Grant Morrison to write a "Rogue Trooper" script...?

Started by El Spurioso, 03 October, 2011, 01:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Well, as I'm already in full on "why the new Dredd film will suck" mode...
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 October, 2011, 11:34:26 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 03 October, 2011, 10:41:02 PMIn the interests of pointless speculation I'll add that I can't really see a Rogue film being any better than Universal Soldier.
Why not?
Primarily because the source material is fairly turgid to start with. Most of the entertainment value comes from the dripfed accretion of incidental detail and daft weaponry which, assuming it's not going to be a mega-budget blockbuster with sprawling battlefields and devastated cities to properly explore, wont be onscreen. And the nice art, which definitely wont. So you're left with a couple of options. Full on Morrison psycho-drama where Gunnar et al are all fragments of Rogue's own consciousness reflected in the broken mirror of the Quartz Zone. That does sound fun but is a bit unlikely, so that leaves bog standard low budget action movie with a couple of weird touches.

NB The Universal Soldier comparison wasn't an all out insult, more an expression of low expectations. US is a perfectly serviceable film of a certain type: better than Blade or Soldier, not as good as Transporter or Blade 2.

Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 October, 2011, 11:56:46 PM
Or any worse for that matter and probably a hell of a lot better considering the writing talent.
A guy who used to be really, really good at writing comics and is now more interested in his own personal quest to find the most obscure Batman supporting character ever? I've never seen a film he's written but I've read some of his old prose and I think he's best sticking to the comics.
We never really die.

PreacherCain

I think most genre concepts like Rogue Trooper are all about the talent involved and how they choose to treat the material.  A recent film like Drive could be standard fare or complete crap, but Refn made it better. Same with Nolan on Batman (though Begins has a good few flaws, made all the more apparent by its superior sequel).

For films like these, the script is just the blueprint (hyuck hyuck). It's a solid concept that lends itself well to a film adaptation. No reason it can't be great, especially if it's put in the right pair of hands.

Colin YNWA

QuoteWell I'll be. No direct quote in the Record article but you gotta think this is a good rumour. Hopefully this will get enough wait behind it to go into production.

But you know what one of my first thoughts was... really... I thought oh cool does that mean that Grant will start having to talk to folk at Rebellion and they might get the Zenith thing sorted. That's be cool!

That's what I said yesterday in the other thread, but this one seems to be the thread of choice so I'll add it here.

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 October, 2011, 12:37:02 AM

Primarily because the source material is fairly turgid to start with... Full on Morrison psycho-drama where Gunnar et al are all fragments of Rogue's own consciousness reflected in the broken mirror of the Quartz Zone. That does sound fun but is a bit unlikely, so that leaves bog standard low budget action movie with a couple of weird touches.

I'd tend to agree with this as I'm far from Rogue's biggest fan. Almost all the enjoyment I get from the original is from the fantastic art. That said with Morrison's imagination on board maybe it could work? If it did however to my mind it'd have to be quite far removed from the source material. Or take the Dave Gibbons 'War Machine' story as its premise, which is kinda removed from the source material! Still we'll see what happens.

Otherwise Rogue would work best for me as a short cartoon for kids, in the mould of Clone Wars or the like. In that form the imaginative battlefield stuff, biowire and the like could sustain it?

James Stacey

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 October, 2011, 08:24:37 AM
If it did however to my mind it'd have to be quite far removed from the source material. Or take the Dave Gibbons 'War Machine' story as its premise, which is kinda removed from the source material! Still we'll see what happens.

I'd always assumed the War Machine reboot was to make the series more fitting for a Film. Maybe I dreamt it.

Buddy

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Stan

I hope this is eventually confirmed. It's the title I hoped would follow Dredd. Though it sounds like we'll be waiting a while regardless. Maybe they can sneak in a bit of Nemesis in the meantime. :cool:

SpetsnaZ99

Forget the blue skin, what about the eyes? we already have enough actors faffing on about there faces being shown take the Dredd helmet debacle for instance, will any actor work with white eyes?
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 03 October, 2011, 10:41:02 PM
Quote from: BleedingcoolAfter Judge Dredd, Rogue is probably 2000AD's most popular character.
Eh? I know we all have different tastes here but, seriously? He wouldn't make my top ten.

In the interests of pointless speculation I'll add that I can't really see a Rogue film being any better than Universal Soldier.
He'd be in my top three but agree about the film
DDT did a job on me

radiator

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 October, 2011, 05:45:20 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 03 October, 2011, 10:41:02 PM
Quote from: BleedingcoolAfter Judge Dredd, Rogue is probably 2000AD's most popular character.
Eh? I know we all have different tastes here but, seriously? He wouldn't make my top ten.

In the interests of pointless speculation I'll add that I can't really see a Rogue film being any better than Universal Soldier.
He'd be in my top three but agree about the film

He's not so popular with fans like us, but he's probably the most well-known 2000ad character apart from Dredd, and maybe Slaine.

Jedit

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 04 October, 2011, 05:18:13 PM
Forget the blue skin, what about the eyes? we already have enough actors faffing on about there faces being shown take the Dredd helmet debacle for instance, will any actor work with white eyes?

Halle Berry in X-Men.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jedit on 04 October, 2011, 06:36:04 PM

Halle Berry in X-Men.

Halle Berry stripped to the waist and painted blue? Good call
You may quote me on that.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Having a hard time believing it.

I also don't see why Rebellion would work with Morrison whilst the Zenith issue is unresolved.

What I would like to see is Rogue back in the prog.

radiator

As far as I know there is no bad feeling between Rebellion and Morrison, it's just an annoying legal issue.

Besides, I doubt it Rebellion has any say who writes it, it's in the hands of the production company.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Jedit on 04 October, 2011, 06:36:04 PM

Halle Berry in X-Men.

In the movies, Storm's eyes became white only when she was about to kick off. Rogue's eyes (that's Trooper R, not the runaway from the Deep South) are opaque throughout; unless, of course, we're talking the 'War Machine' version, here. Either way, I don't think is quite on a par with entire faces being covered.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.