Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #1

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 21 November, 2012, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Frazer

To be perfectly honest, I didn't even notice the Stallone-style uniform in the B-strip - and Dredd's role is small enough in that story anyway for it not to be so great a drama. Maybe his uniform was at the dry-cleaners after "Ripe" and the local Sector House that he reported to to change didn't have anything in his size other than a set of 2095s.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Trout

Frank

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 December, 2012, 10:06:03 PM
The inclusion of '95 movie Dredd seems so bizarre, thinking about it, that i have to ask whether there's more to it than we think.

I like your Crisis in Infinite Megacities idea, but I think it might be as simple as that version of the character being most familiar to the artist - and probably most Americans reading that comic. The last six months of film forum watching have taught me that there are some people who seem to genuinely like that chimeric monstrosity of a film and its production design.

Spikes

or he's simply fucking with us,  ;)

Frank

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 December, 2012, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 December, 2012, 11:49:58 AM
...check out the nightstick...
...he has a nightstick while chatting...
...the nightstick turns into a Lawgiver...
...(no sign of the nightstick)...
...no nightstick...

A pedant would point out that Judges use a daystick. Not me, though. Nossir.

A nightstick is the evil twin of a day stick
DDT did a job on me

Keef Monkey

I picked this up and didn't hate it. It didn't really feel like authentic Dredd to me, something was a little off with him as a character, although the city itself seemed pretty close to the prog.

Really liked the art in the first story, but thought it could have given people a bit more to be going on, there's a lot going on that isn't explained but it's too early to tell if it's setting up things to be explained later, or if it's just ignoring the details in favour of pace.

The 2nd story didn't work for me at all I'm afraid, the art really didn't click with me (and THAT design choice actually seemed a bit disrespectful to be honest) and I didn't really understand if the story was supposed to be taking place within/alongside the main story.

I'll buy it again, mainly because I'd like to see it do well and partly because I just want as much Dredd in my life as possible and the main story and prospect of some better backup stories pleases me.

I do think they've missed a trick though with the tone, it's cool that it's going for the wackier side of things that was downplayed in the movie, but given the whole point of the comic's existence seems to be to hook in people drawn in by the movie I can't help but think they should have stuck as close to the film's tone as possible, at least initially.

COMMANDO FORCES

The Shop Variant from Jetpack Comics, which has the black and white DREDDABILIA cover also has a different back to it!

Molch-R

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 03 December, 2012, 04:53:50 PM
but given the whole point of the comic's existence seems to be to hook in people drawn in by the movie

I think I've said this before, but it's really not. A happy coincidence, but not the point of IDW's series at all.

LARF

Look at this Greg Staples cover, just look at it, f**king awesome...

Matt Smith to pen Year One Dredds, now this is something I'd read, not the tosh being fired out of IDW's canon at the mo...

http://comicbookcritic.net/2012/12/03/judge-dredd-year-one-miniseries-arrives-in-march-2013-from-idw-publishing/

radiator

Matt Smith writing
Simon Coleby on interior art
Greg Staples on covers
An intriguing spin on the Dredd concept

Now that sounds more bloody like it! Definitely buying this.

COMMANDO FORCES

I think you'll find there is a thread for the Year One mini series by Tharg

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Molch-R on 03 December, 2012, 05:00:13 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 03 December, 2012, 04:53:50 PM
but given the whole point of the comic's existence seems to be to hook in people drawn in by the movie

I think I've said this before, but it's really not. A happy coincidence, but not the point of IDW's series at all.

Fair enough, it never really crossed my mind that the two might have coincidentally come along at the same time!

Like I say, I enjoyed it and will buy more, I just thought having a story that was closer to the film might hold onto anyone who's been tempted to try Dredd after the film.

I understand the need for something like this, my first instinct would be to just start collecting prog Dredd and releasing it, but then where do you start without confusing people? A fresh publication with stories geared towards new readers is a great idea, will be interesting to see how it develops and what other elements it introduces as it goes on. Cheers.

Proudhuff

I think FP are missing a trick hiding these amonst the comic herd, They would do better on the Meg and the Prog shelf, but hey what do i know...
DDT did a job on me

CrazyFoxMachine

Ah. It never occurred to me to just go up to FP... I ordered mine online at Disposable Heroes which I won't be doing again. Never got it and never received a reply as to why!