Main Menu

Dredd is the number 1 DVD/Blu Ray!!

Started by chuffsteruk, 22 January, 2013, 01:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuffsteruk

He is the law, and he's Number 1: Dredd has knocked The Dark Knight Rises off the top of the Official Video Chart.

The DVD and Blu-ray release of Dredd, Pete Travis and Alex Garland's big screen adaptation of 2000 AD's cult comic book hero Judge Dredd, has gone straight in at Number 1 on the Official Video Chart.

Starring Karl Urban (Star Trek, The Two Towers, The Return Of The King) in the title role, Dredd, assisted by rookie judge Judge Anderson (played by Olivia Thirlby), has to battle through a 200-storey tower block to take down the forces of evil drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and face corrupt judges Judge Lex (Langley Kirkwood), Judge Kaplan (Michele Levin), Judge Chan (Karl Thaning) and Judge Alvarez (Edwin Perry) in a fight to the death.

Meanwhile, Lawless, which stars Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman, and is based on a screenplay by Nick Cave, is new in at Number 2. This week's Official Video Chart Top 5 is completed by The Hunger Games (Number 3), Snow White And The Huntsman (4) and Total Recall (5).

chuffsteruk

No mention of how many copies sold though.

opaque

dracula1

Positive word about this is spreading like wildfire on FB  :P

paddykafka

It's got an enthusiastic, 4 Star review in today's freebie newspaper Metro-Herald, which is given out here in Dublin. Google www.metroherald.ie and turn to page 13.

The word is spreading, creeps!

radiator

Strong reviews and word of mouth did little or nothing to help Dredd at the box office, I'm afraid.

Colin YNWA

If the figures of 650,000 sales in the first week are correct is that as astonishing high as I'd think it to be. It suggests, with very back of the fag packet maths that a lot more people have bought the DVD than went to the cinema in the first week. Now I know Dredd has built very good critical approval and has a reputation now that far out reaches its box office and what not, but that seems a massive figure.

Could that number not be actual sales and rather the number distributed to shops?

Michaelvk

I think a big, massive "I told you so.. " is in order..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

I believe it's an estimated figure that covers DVDs & Blu Rays in the US (I don't think it includes numbers for digital download via iTunes etc but could be wrong).

Going on anecdotal evidence it seems to have sold if anything even better in the UK (in terms of sales vs population that is), so we can probably add at least another 100,000 or so to that.

QuoteI think a big, massive "I told you so.. " is in order..

I think a lot of people (myself included) agreed from the very beginning that home video would be where Dredd found it's real audience, but even so I'd say many were shocked at just how badly it would do theatrically.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: radiator on 23 January, 2013, 12:34:27 PM
I believe it's an estimated figure that covers DVDs & Blu Rays in the US (I don't think it includes numbers for digital download via iTunes etc but could be wrong).

OHHHHH I see I didn't think it was out in the US yet. At which point that makes a lot more sense and I'm going to try to sneak out of this conversation before anybody realises what a numbnut I've been...

Dog Deever

For me, not bothering was a mix of normal behaviour and economics. 'Not goig to the cinema' is fairly normal- I live in a town that has a shite cinema.
I did intend to make the effort for Dredd but in 3D it was twice the price and I'm skint... fuck that.
In my tiny mind all cinema, tv, video gives the illusion of '3D' on a flat screen.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Something Fishy

Very much hoping word of mouth sees this sell really well and makes them think about a sequel.  other films have had a sequel based on home release sales so fingers crossed.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Something Fishy on 25 January, 2013, 09:59:13 AM
Very much hoping word of mouth sees this sell really well and makes them think about a sequel.  other films have had a sequel based on home release sales so fingers crossed.

or rather home sales plus an OK box-office.

Stella Dave

The hype can only do good for the chance of sequel/s!!

ABCwarBOT

I've had an occasional pop at this film for a few things like the Lawmaster but it's nice to see it's selling well on dvd.   
Maybe we'll get a sequel with an increased budget (he says with a fair dose of wishful thinking).