Main Menu

PROG 1826 DISAPPEAR HERE!

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 30 March, 2013, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alien Goodness

The two stories that I really enjoyed in this week's Prog were Survival Geeks (I desperately want to live in an alternative reality that never cancelled Firefly too) and Zombo.

judgefloyd

Zombo is indeed a never ending font of awesomeness

Hawkmumbler

"If you don't start looking prity where all going to die!"  :lol:

Spikes

Great cover to Prog 1826 - shades of Rufus' style maybe?
And a great little story, and art to Dredd waits inside. Liked the 'hottie' two page sequence.  Good stuff.
Dandridge i really enjoyed this week. Three weeks in and im getting a feel for this strip.

And Survival Geeks ends OK. Ive liked the art on this, but not the story so much (though i really liked the first episode). Could make an interesting and fun strip if it did return. But the whole premise could easily become tired and one note.

Really been enjoying Stickleback, but not this weeks offering tbh. And Zombo has lost me for a second week running. Just too OTT in its wackiness?

A decent enough prog that, for me, had slightly more misses than hits.

Daveycandlish

Dandridge and Stickleback are rocking it for me at the minute and 3riller reminded me of Bec & Kawl (which I don't mind)

A decent prog :)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

BPP

i must be the only reader who finds Zombo boring. Book 1 was brilliant, book 2 had a nice conceit but started to bore me with just too many cultural reference gags i could care less about and book 3 ramped that up. Four is heading the same way. Beatles jokes? Really? Al Ewings musical joke stuff just leaves me cold, far better the sly references like Bird House In Your Soul from Dredd than flat out jokes that sound like they came from The Huddliners in 1986. Okay, thats harsh, The Million Pound Radio Show in 1996. (Actually the best part of this series so far sounded just like The Dark Lord on Elvenquest).

Zombo was a great character but the surrounding world detracts from the strip. His character works when the world is dangerous but the people relatively 'normal' and he goes around asking to eat them... when his surroundings are insanity and staffed by characters like obmoz etc then Zombo becomes an instrument to tell the story not a unique central character.

everything else in the Prog was great, Dandridge being so much better in the hands of its original artist. but yeah, much as its good to see a talented new art droid... those broken shoulders on Dredd (cover and pg 1).. yuck.

ps - the PSI being muslim, think that was established in her previous appearance - some friction between her and Dredd about PSIs being allowed faith-based principles that ordinary judges are not.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Zarjazzer

Zombo is leaving me cold at the mo despite mocking the FF and the Beatles. Dredd was fine a nice set episode as it were, Stickleback was good and RPG strip was also fine.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Hawkmumbler

"...From now on, I want you to all call me Colnel Awsomesauce" It still gets me, Zombo is one of the best for dialogue like this. Just wonderful. :lol:

Dredd Head

Bought this prog today which is my first ever 2000AD prog, Havn't read it yet but had a quick flick through and looks awesome :)

MercZ

I'm interested to see where they take the Dredd story. I liked the other strips too, especially the 3hriller Survival Geeks. I want to see where Zombo's headed, though I liked their little Beatles gag. 

Dredd Head

Well i just finished the prog and it was [spoiler]EPIC[/spoiler]. Really enjoyed it 5/5

Mabs

I'd say Prog 1824/25 is a great jumping on point, Dredd Head. That way you get the begining of Stickleback, Dandridge and Zombo (3rillers begins in '24). If i was you i'd order the previous Progs from The House of Tharg.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dredd Head

Quote from: Mabs on 09 April, 2013, 07:24:47 PM
I'd say Prog 1824/25 is a great jumping on point, Dredd Head. That way you get the begining of Stickleback, Dandridge and Zombo (3rillers begins in '24). If i was you i'd order the previous Progs from The House of Tharg.

Yea need to get round to that, Even though some stories were in the middle or the end i still thoroughly enjoyed. This was my first ever prog and won't be my last :D

chris_askham

Stickleback and Zombo - Top marks!
Dredd and Dandridge - forgettable.
Survival Geeks hits all the wrong buttons that Bec and Kawlused to.