Main Menu

How much do you pay for American comics.

Started by Judge Brian, 16 June, 2013, 07:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Brian

I've finally decided to order both the Meg & 2000AD from a comics service here in the US. It's going to cost $5.25 per prog & $12.25 for the Meg. There is a 25% discount for preordering. $3.94 & $9.19 US.

I was wondering how much a $2.99 DC or a $3.99 Marvel costs in the UK, Ireland, Australia, & other countries.

Colin YNWA

From my shop I think at the moment its £2.20 for a $2.99 book and £2.80 for a $3.99 book. They are really good and the do reduce the price when the exchange rate gets better (assuming Diamond pass that onto them). At the moment however the £ is at the lower end of its range to the $.

That means its better for the UK talent to work in the US too (I think). That's the main reason a strong pound is important, all the creators come back as working for tooth becomes a better money earner... but then all the good work done marketing it to the US falls apart as it cost a fortune over there... damn can't win!

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Judge Brian on 16 June, 2013, 07:29:26 PM
I've finally decided to order both the Meg & 2000AD from a comics service here in the US. It's going to cost $5.25 per prog & $12.25 for the Meg. There is a 25% discount for preordering. $3.94 & $9.19 US.

A cheaper alternative might be to do what a fellow American, The Adventurer, does and get your Thrill Power digitally. He and I (and others) exchanged some views on this thread: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,38645.0.html.

As to American comics here, Colin's prices are generally what I see in other establishments - even London where you would expect them to be a lot more expensive. I'm waiting for Max Brooks' "Extinction Parade" which Forbidden Planet (my local store in London) will charge me £2.65 for a $3.99 comic.

Radbacker

DC comics in Oz cost a whopping $6.95 for $2.99 comics and $8.95 for $3.99 comics, that's from a newsagent and usually 2 or 3 months behind I think last time I was in a comic shop they had up to date issues but they were about $10 or so (it's very rich considering the $A is just about on par and for a while actually above the $US, want a new Xbox game better come in with $100, but its nothing new we pay top $ for everything here except the sunshine  ;))
2000AD on the other hand sets me back $6.95 and hasn't gone up in price here for several years (I'm thinking about 8 or so) however as that's shipped by ship its about 2 months behind, IIRC the last time I was in the comic shop a current (or 1 week old prog) sets you back about $9.  The meg costs just under $13 but has been up around $20 before.  I'd say there good prices for you especially if they're only a week or two from cover date.

CU Radbacker

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Radbacker on 17 June, 2013, 01:12:31 PM
DC comics in Oz cost a whopping $6.95 for $2.99 comics and $8.95 for $3.99 comics, that's from a newsagent and usually 2 or 3 months behind I think last time I was in a comic shop they had up to date issues but they were about $10

Bloomin' heck that's harsh, especially as you say the $ to $ rate is pretty close. Must be very tough going having a comics habit over there. Do you get Australian editions like the UK editions of some key titles here?

Link Prime

Quote from: Judge Brian on 16 June, 2013, 07:29:26 PM
I was wondering how much a $2.99 DC or a $3.99 Marvel costs in the UK, Ireland, Australia, & other countries.

Depends on the shop.
My LCS (Big Bang Comics) sells everything with Dollar to Euro parity. Which is fair enough.

Forbidden Planet in Dublin however is much more expensive. Although prices can sometimes vary (depending on no more than an apparent whim), they generally work out as $2.99= €3.99 & $3.99= €4.99.

2000AD also varies greatly, it's €3.60 in Easons, yet only €2.65 in Big Bang Comics.

Judge Brian

Thanks for recommending digital, but I hate digital. I have to have the paper in my hands or I'll go without.

Judge Brian

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 June, 2013, 07:35:19 PM
From my shop I think at the moment its £2.20 for a $2.99 book and £2.80 for a $3.99 book. They are really good and the do reduce the price when the exchange rate gets better (assuming Diamond pass that onto them). At the moment however the £ is at the lower end of its range to the $.

That means its better for the UK talent to work in the US too (I think). That's the main reason a strong pound is important, all the creators come back as working for tooth becomes a better money earner... but then all the good work done marketing it to the US falls apart as it cost a fortune over there... damn can't win!

That's a great price. Diamond must ship a ton of comics each week to the UK.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Judge Brian on 18 June, 2013, 05:40:14 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 June, 2013, 07:35:19 PM

Rumour has it the UK accounts for about an extra 10% on the diamond figures we see estimates for. So a healthy amount, but not massive, massive.

That's a great price. Diamond must ship a ton of comics each week to the UK.

The Adventurer

QuoteThanks for recommending digital, but I hate digital. I have to have the paper in my hands or I'll go without.

Then be prepared to pay far out the ass for the best comics in the world.

Its worth it, but I've never been happier after switching to digital. Though my enjoyment hinged a lot on getting a tablet. Cause reading on PC screens is not a great experience.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Simon Beigh

Quote from: The Adventurer on 18 June, 2013, 07:54:04 AM
QuoteThanks for recommending digital, but I hate digital. I have to have the paper in my hands or I'll go without.

Then be prepared to pay far out the ass for the best comics in the world.

Its worth it, but I've never been happier after switching to digital. Though my enjoyment hinged a lot on getting a tablet. Cause reading on PC screens is not a great experience.

I think if you have a tablet, there is no harm in downloading the free 2000AD app and the free 48 page sample edition, Judge Brian. You may be pleasantly surprised. Might save you a shed-load of cash... If you don't have a tablet, I'm with TA and wouldn't recommend sitting in from of a PC screen!

IndigoPrime

On the tablet thing, I can't help thinking what might happen in a few years from now. Imagine an iPad (or similar), with its high-res screen, but with the weight of a Nook or standard Kindle. With a fast web connection and decent cloud storage, that might even push me over the edge from paper.

As for pricing, one of my local comic stores used to have a lot of fun repricing US comics directly, so $2.99 would become £2.99. They're no longer in business.

The Adventurer

The iPad is lighter (or at least no heavier) then an ordinary paperback graphic novel right now.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

Ish. Depending on the model, the full-size Retina iPad is 650–660g. That's about 100g heavier than the first Dredd Case Files or Origins, unless Amazon US is lying—and those are quite chunky trades. Something like a standard Hellboy trade is around 370g. All those are also quite a bit heavier than a comic! For me, a real sweet spot would be around 300–400g. (The iPad mini is 310g.)

JOE SOAP

I can't hold 500 progs with both hands but I can hold an ipad in one.