Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #13 'French for Black''

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 27 November, 2013, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Three covers this month and finally we have a proper sketch cover, so I bought EIGHT of those :thumbsup:

Cover A - Brendan McCarthy
Retail Incentive - Jim Rugg
Subscription Cover - Sketch Cover

Thingamabob is the writer still ;)

Well folks, it had to happen! I actually enjoyed this one, well, the black and white part of the story which is about 80% of it.

It carries on from the Long Fail and we see a few glitches happen in Mega-City One plus incidents in black and white from the past. Then we have a full splash page Dredd in colour and it's terrible. The helmet is too long but WTF is happening with the badge!!!

Anyway, Joe seemingly is transported via a time glitch into a crime noir tale set in 1947. While in this time we have some arty visuals of the way Joe would look then, with pouring rain on most of the panels. I really enjoyed the way he reacted to how his equipment and control had suddenly changed as well.

I won't go on about the story, as I think a few of you may actually buy this!

The ending is nicely done and typical 2000 AD style but just the artwork in the present time spoils it.

Overall I enjoyed this, so things may be looking up :lol:

Here is the way they start the B&W proper and I would've liked this as one of the covers!

Just to show you something from the colour, behold!

Richmond Clements

:o
I'm not actually sure what I'm looking at here..!

Recrewt

Ha! Ha!

I love that black and white picture but the colour one is all sorts of wrong. 

TordelBack

Aye, the B&W could win our Art Comp, the colour one would be lucky to get a single HM.

IronGraham

oh god I didn't know the main guy doing dredd left hope this isn't his replacement black and white was really nice looking
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dark Jimbo

There's really no middle ground at IDW, is there? Their artists are either amazing or dire.
@jamesfeistdraws

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That looks like it was drawn by half a dozen people who all took a different section of his anatomy and didn't communicate with each other at all.

I can draw better than that, and that's some damning criticism right there.
You may quote me on that.

Proudhuff

Is there somewhere at IDW I can email this to:

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 28 November, 2013, 10:41:17 AM

Oh no, they're not going to do a crap version of Stone Island too?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 November, 2013, 12:48:52 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 28 November, 2013, 10:41:17 AM

Oh no, they're not going to do a crap version of Stone Island too?

I dread to think what the cocks will look like...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 November, 2013, 05:22:25 PMI'm not actually sure what I'm looking at here..!
Why is Dredd wearing underpants outside of his trousers? Why are his feet so deformed? Why is the helmet seemingly bent out of shape? Why is the chain doing that weird thing? Why is half the badge covered?

Really, just why?

James Stacey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 November, 2013, 02:04:54 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 November, 2013, 05:22:25 PMI'm not actually sure what I'm looking at here..!
Why is Dredd wearing underpants outside of his trousers? Why are his feet so deformed? Why is the helmet seemingly bent out of shape? Why is the chain doing that weird thing? Why is half the badge covered?

Really, just why?
why does he look like he'e been modelled loosely out of blutac and potatoes.

Proudhuff

Really, just why?

Its the massive triceps surae that draws my eye again and again  :o
DDT did a job on me

locustsofdeath!

Really, just why?

Where do his forearms end and his biceps begin? Why are his calves as thick as his waist?

Gads. That's freakish even by American superhero comics art standards.