Main Menu

2000 AD's 37th birthday

Started by Molch-R, 24 January, 2014, 03:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Ask a bunch of creator droids to write scathing (or indeed glowing) reviews for each others stories and hide them in the reviews part of the forum.

When it comes to 2000AD birthday stuff, I'm a sucker for getting creators to reeel off lists of favourite things of the moment, whether its books, films, comics or 2000AD memories. It's old hat, but it's good hat. Maybe spice it up with some creator cosplay photos.

Tiplodocus

Online sketching or art tutorials from the droids. Sketches is probably better so they can have a couple of cans of oil while doing so.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Skullmo

Why not get some creators who feel angered by the fact they have not received royalties and their art / style has been swiped to write and draw a scathing attack on the comic and then only publish it in a severely edited form?
It's a joke. I was joking.

von Boom

Digital copy of 2000AD #1 for everyone.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Skullmo on 30 January, 2014, 02:19:03 PM
Why not get some creators who feel angered by the fact they have not received royalties and their art / style has been swiped to write and draw a scathing attack on the comic and then only publish it in a severely edited form?

I have to confess,  I think that's a really good idea! Edited though it was, I loved Tharg's Head Revisited and would be more than happy to see more of the same.  A Night 2 Remember was good too (is it really 12 years ago? Christ) but not quite as memorable - Slagging off dodgy stories and characters wasn't half as much fun as a vitriolic group attack on the 2000ad editorial team.  Garth Ennis and Dave Gibbons' contribution was cracking though.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

It would be great to see Alan Moore and Grant Morrison doing something for Tharg again, and Mark Millar, Alan MacKenzie and Hilary Robinson are people too!

Tharg should start a confusing new numbering system for his anniversary party, making it difficult to distinguish between this 37th anniversary and the 37th regular weekly anniversary. This anniversary could be a sneaky way of reinstating the old annual anniversaries - which had become commercially unviable - by incorporating these more expensive anniversaries into the schedule of the regular weekly anniversaries.

jackstarr

QuoteA cover with Matt Smith painted up as Tharg.

Hawkmumbler

Wow. I've been reading the prog for nearly four years. Mitchety. :-\

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Skullmo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 January, 2014, 05:09:33 PM

I have to confess,  I think that's a really good idea! Edited though it was, I loved Tharg's Head Revisited and would be more than happy to see more of the same.  A Night 2 Remember was good too (is it really 12 years ago? Christ) but not quite as memorable - Slagging off dodgy stories and characters wasn't half as much fun as a vitriolic group attack on the 2000ad editorial team.  Garth Ennis and Dave Gibbons' contribution was cracking though.

Tharg's Head Revisited Revisited
It's a joke. I was joking.

The Legendary Shark

I have always believed that The Rowdy Yates Block Citizens' Yap Shop (or its equivalent - 'The Mighty Ones' Squaxx Box'?) should be a part of 2000ADOnline. In the Yap Shop we've had some great live chats.
The live chatroom format offers great scope for party games, interviews, Q & A sessions, webcam feeds, music and voice elements and whatnot.
This online party would be a great opportunity to fold that functionality into the site. Although computationally challenged at the moment, I'll offer any help I can to make this happen.
Apart from that, the most important thing is for 2000AD to continue for (at least) another 37 years.
Oh, and Happy Birthday!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

I agree with Shark particularly his latter comment. The progs need to continue and every effort made to increase readership. That would be the best birthday present of all. Being totally serious this comic has changed and enriched lives, it is much more than ticks on a  profit/loss spread sheet. Proselytize by any means.
Happy birthday and cleanse and purify brothers and sisters.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Bat King

I am out late every Wednesday these days so miss the Yap Shop.

I second the suggestion to do something there!

If it is a Wednesday I will cancel normal b thing n be there. :)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

The Legendary Shark

Just to clarify - I wasn't suggesting that the Website runs a chat night once a week (the "Wednesday Night Chat" is just a hangover from earlier irc times, iIrc) but hosted a constantly live chatroom into which members could enter at any time for public or private live text, voice and maybe even video chat.
Whilst the Paltalk service the Yap Shop currently uses is getting rather twitchy of late, it is still a good model and would be ideal to replicate on a smaller scale here. If that proves to be too expensive or impractical in the short term, I am more than happy to place the Yap Shop at TMO's disposal to aid with the online party and possible future projects.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hap Hazzard

Quote from: ZenArcade on 31 January, 2014, 12:20:02 PM
I agree with Shark particularly his latter comment. The progs need to continue and every effort made to increase readership. That would be the best birthday present of all. Being totally serious this comic has changed and enriched lives, it is much more than ticks on a  profit/loss spread sheet. Proselytize by any means.
Happy birthday and cleanse and purify brothers and sisters.

Fully agree with this quote. 2000AD has been a part of my life since I was 4 years old, it's literally shaped my education, my literature choices, my choice of career. My life wouldn't have been nearly as rich artistically-speaking as if 2000AD hadn't existed, nor would I have seen or experienced the things I have due to my work choices, which were influenced by years of 2000AD. The best way to celebrate, without doubt, is for 2000AD to embark upon another 37 years and continue to influence lives, careers and experiences.

That's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.