Main Menu

The Four Dark Judges... Plus nine more?

Started by ming, 11 February, 2014, 08:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

'baby' and 'bathwater' spring to mind.  I remember the boohaha around Rambo playing Dredd, surely a good thing all that publicity...
DDT did a job on me

Spaceghost

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 February, 2014, 10:42:41 AM
It's also curious how dodgy this central Dredd comic is, given the quality of the Mars Attacks four-parter and the fairly good Year One. Still, the comic continues to be released, so they must be doing something right in terms of finding an audience.

Perhaps if you'd never read any Dredd before, the IDW comic might seem quite original and unique next to all the superhero guff they get over in the US?

It's mainly the fact that we've been spoilt with years of exceptional high quality Dredd that makes this stuff read like a piss-poor tribute band.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Molch-R

Quote from: Proudhuff on 12 February, 2014, 11:09:27 AM
'baby' and 'bathwater' spring to mind.  I remember the boohaha around Rambo playing Dredd, surely a good thing all that publicity...

No such thing etc.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Jon

Quote from: Molch-R on 12 February, 2014, 11:18:27 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 12 February, 2014, 11:09:27 AM

No such thing etc.

I don't know, Leeds council spent a lot of money on getting rid of any Saville references....

That's going to become the new Hitlerisation, isn't it?

Hey! Judge Saville! That'd be terrifying!

Proudhuff

now then now then...

Its shawaddywaddywaddy, i feel sorry for!
DDT did a job on me

Molch-R

Quote from: Jon on 12 February, 2014, 11:36:03 AM
I don't know, Leeds council spent a lot of money on getting rid of any Saville references....

Um...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Molch-R on 12 February, 2014, 11:02:44 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 February, 2014, 10:42:41 AM
lapsed readers and presumably also anyone not paying attention seem to think this is what 2000 AD has come to these days.

You'd be surprised how readily people on the FB page misunderstand, wilfully or otherwise, anything we do.

Seems to be quite a high number of laped readers on the FB page. I suppose you sign up for the site, click a ton of stuff you used to like because you think that's what you should do - Monster Munch, Ulysess 31, 2000AD, etc... then you're suddenly getting notifications from it, even though you've not actually read an issue since the 80s.

Hence all the '2000AD is still being published?!' 'I thought Johnny Alpha was dead?' 'Wait, since when is there a new Dredd film?'
@jamesfeistdraws

Molch-R

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 February, 2014, 11:47:02 AM
Hence all the '2000AD is still being published?!' 'I thought Johnny Alpha was dead?' 'Wait, since when is there a new Dredd film?'

Welcome to the depressing side of my job ;) Still that does mean more people to try and tempt back into the fold :D

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Molch-R on 12 February, 2014, 11:55:21 AM
till that does mean more people to try and tempt back into the fold :D

Only challenges, eh?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Molch-R

Tiplodocus

I suppose 2000AD itself has had more than it's fair share of daft plot developments over the years. If the stories that result are good, people tend to accept them. 

This is all happening in an alternate universe to mine; I don't have time/money to buy the non-2000AD products but I do wish them all the best (fistulas and all).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Molch-R on 12 February, 2014, 11:02:44 AMYou'd be surprised how readily people on the FB page misunderstand, wilfully or otherwise, anything we do.
I've been in marketing and journo land for 13 years now. It takes a lot to surprise me. But that certainly doesn't stop me facepalming for Britain every time I venture on to the 2000 AD Facebook page and stupidly read the comments.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 February, 2014, 11:47:02 AMHence all the '2000AD is still being published?!' 'I thought Johnny Alpha was dead?' 'Wait, since when is there a new Dredd film?'
The one that irks me is the all-too-regular: "I haven't read 2000 AD since 1986, but all the new stuff is shit and it was better in the old days." Just like music. And TV. And Spangles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 February, 2014, 08:51:17 PM
I'm hoping the new Dark Judge team includes  ... a rubber johnny full of guts.

That's the Prime Minister surely? Now that IS scary!