Main Menu

The Four Dark Judges... Plus nine more?

Started by ming, 11 February, 2014, 08:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 February, 2014, 12:28:39 PM
This is all happening in an alternate universe to mine; I don't have time/money to buy the non-2000AD products but I do wish them all the best (fistulas and all).

Exactly. I do buy one of the IDW comics, Mega-City 2, which I really enjoy and happily embrace as part of 'my' Dredd.  And that one wouldn't exist if not for the core IDW book, which doesn't seem like my kind of thing.  So it's all good.

Hawkmumbler

Recrewt

Yeah, I don't want to be a hater about the IDW Dredd but this thread has had some great laughs in it. 

It is early days and we don't know how this is all going to pan out.  Wouldn't be the first time the Dark Judges had some new recruits that I wasn't too fond of.  ::)

James Stacey

The Wikipedia article on the dark Judges also list Pustula, Ephemera and Dementia. When were they brought in? Must have missed that.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 February, 2014, 01:39:00 PM
The Wikipedia article on the dark Judges also list Pustula, Ephemera and Dementia. When were they brought in? Must have missed that.

Megazine 241, February 2006. We've not seen them since so I imagine we can all forget they ever existed. Some lovely Ranson designs, if nothing else.

@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 February, 2014, 01:48:32 PM

Megazine 241, February 2006. We've not seen them since so I imagine we can all forget they ever existed. Some lovely Ranson designs, if nothing else.
Thanks DJ. I'll hook it out of the stack and take a goosey. There are still tracts of megazine I've not caught up on from my wilderness years. Should really rectify that

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

that was from here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50804

CBR's EXCLUSIVE: Judge Choke Joins Death to Paint Swierczynzki's Mega City One Red
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Er... wasn't Choke the first one revealed? In the very first post on the first page of this thread?

Do try and keep up,  Huff.  ;)
@jamesfeistdraws

Jo-L

Quote from: Molch-R on 12 February, 2014, 11:02:44 AM
all the evidence we have points to this being a major draw for readers in the States who have previously not picked up the ongoing Dredd title, which is only to the good.

Maybe?  I suppose?  What this ends up being is that this is what the uninitiated end up thinking the core of Dredd is all about.  Well, this and the Stallone movie.  Very few comic shops over here get 2000 AD at all, so there is very little exposure beyond the IDW stuff.  It's not a good thing when someone has heard good things about Dredd, decides to try this, and then dismisses it as being silly and not very good... having no exposure to the Wagner books, or the work the other excellent creators are doing currently.

The Dredd Classics I thought were a really good step, but shrinking the material to the U.S. format didn't do the work any good.

8-Ball

I hate to be negative but when I see these character designs I just think Scooby Doo. I'm sure the Americans will lap them up but like Hershey's chocolate bars they are just not to my taste. And that is probably the point.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 February, 2014, 02:40:32 PM
Er... wasn't Choke the first one revealed? In the very first post on the first page of this thread?

sorry old bean, only went back a couple o pages, that's all I could take  :o

It will be Rugrats: at the Academy next
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 February, 2014, 02:40:32 PM

with his arm regalia .. does he choke the chicken ?

Molch-R

Quote from: Jo-L on 12 February, 2014, 02:54:47 PM
Maybe?  I suppose?  What this ends up being is that this is what the uninitiated end up thinking the core of Dredd is all about.  Well, this and the Stallone movie.  Very few comic shops over here get 2000 AD at all, so there is very little exposure beyond the IDW stuff.  It's not a good thing when someone has heard good things about Dredd, decides to try this, and then dismisses it as being silly and not very good... having no exposure to the Wagner books, or the work the other excellent creators are doing currently.

The figures for the IDW books are very healthy, which suggest there's an audience out there that either want something different in tone to 'traditional' Dredd or are not willing to read 2000 AD. This is an audience we simply cannot reach, but one that is being exposed to the character in a new way. How is this a bad thing? If the IDW stuff isn't to your tastes, that's fine - but it's something thousands and thousands of people enjoy every month. This is just a different string to the bow and has an excellent knock-on effect for awareness of our books in North America.