Main Menu

The story you skipped....and never liked

Started by judgerufian, 01 May, 2014, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

None. But I've often wondered why I was reading something like Space Babes 2000.
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Angel Zero and American Reaper. Uuuurrrggghh.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

judgerufian

Its been really interesting to see what gets skipped and peoples general reaction to the 1990's era of 2000ad. I always kept my 2000 collection going but did have various points where the Meg was dropped though all been collected since I jumped back on the Meg in 2008, and perversely enjoyed doing the whole back issues job though I didnt enjoy everything I read!

I did remember another strip I couldnt stand at its beginning then slowly started to read through afore mentioned skimming and that was 'The Red Seas'.

Another thing to mention for Meg readers, ever opened it up to find a floppy that previously was a no-no strip but being collected read better? As much as I was not a Finn fan, the collection read (marginally) better than I remembered and Night Zero was great old school fun.

hippynumber1

The first two that spring to mind for me are 'Wire Heads' and, more recently 'Ulysses Sweet' both of which I had to really make an effort to read.

NeilFord

Ace Trucking... never got the hang of it.

TordelBack

This thread is very interesting, in that people aren't saying '...'cos it was crap', but rather acknowledging that it wasn't their cup of tea so they skipped/skimmed/struggled on.   And some of the stories listed would be among my all-time favourites, indeed I would consider them essential to the 2000AD experience!  A nice insight into the success of the format.

O Lucky Stevie!

Honestly hasn't read a page of Dredd since that mutie tom was covered in caca halfway through Tour Of Duty.

How do you like them apples, huh?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Recrewt

I have pretty much read everything in the Progs I have had.  The beauty of comics is that sometimes a story might be poor but the artwork lifts it up (and vice-versa) and there have been plenty of stories that fall into this category.  Wireheads and Trash are prime examples of stories that would be skippable but the artwork drew me in and I ended up reading them anyway.

That said, I have always skipped over Tao de Moto, even on re-reads.  How lazy does that make me?  I can't even be bothered to read a couple of pages of strip!  ::)

I, Cosh

Being Scotch and, therefore, tighter than a gnat's chuff, I have never skipped a story. Not only that, every story or run of a series gets reread in full once it's finished, no matter how much I disliked it week on week. Some turds can't be polished, but I do find there are many stories which benefit greatly from this reappraisal.

NB This applies only to the Prog. I feel I could quite easily construct my own interview imaginary with the latest artist to not be encouraged in his comic ambitions at art school but have a chance meeting at a con lead to Tharg's door without the need to ever read it.
We never really die.

Dodsy

Quote from: NeilFord on 02 May, 2014, 10:39:32 AM
Ace Trucking... never got the hang of it.

I thought I was the only one! I just don't get it.

That and Slaine after the Treasure of Britain story (although the current run has caught my attention a little).
I never skip anything in the prog cause you never know when something is going to grab your attention again.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 May, 2014, 05:05:33 PM
I know of at last one boarder here, naming no names, who's been getting the prog for decades and ONLY ever reads Dredd.

Pete Wells buys the comic and only ever looks at the front cover!  I don't think he's ever realised what those flappy papery things behind it are.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 May, 2014, 11:03:36 AM
I feel I could quite easily construct my own imaginary interview with the latest artist to not be encouraged in his comic ambitions at art school but have a chance meeting at a con lead to Tharg's door without the need to ever read it

Each creator story is like a beautiful and unique snowflake ... in that there are thousands of them, it's impossible to tell them apart, and they leave me cold.

AlexF

As a child reading my big brother's Progs, I skipped quite a lot: Rogue Trooper in particular never grabbed my attention. Also, anything with art that looked grown up and scary (e.g. Will Simpson, John Hicklenton, Brendan McCarthy), and anything that came across as pretentious (e.g. Milligan, Morrison, Smith), which was really quite a lot of stuff from the 400s-700s.

Ironically enough, it was around the time of Prog 700 that I became, at age 12, a proper 2000AD obsessive fan, and read everything religiously from that point on (except, for reasons of extreme pretension, Danzig's Inferno). I was genuinely on the edge of myself with excitement at the prospect of every new Prog numbered from about 700-950, perhaps the definiton of 2000AD's supposed nadir. At the time I couldn't understand why the reurn of Sam Slade, my favourite series from the Best of reprints, didn't seem to make sense. Took me many years to realise that it just wasn't very well written; I really thought the problem was with me, and kept re-reading that opening story to make it be good. It never was.

Since then I've never skipped a story in Prog or Meg, except the text stories. And Roxilla's music nonsense. Most of the Meg articles and interviews are worthwhile, although I doubt I'll bother rereading them. But there's plenty that hasn't lingered. I'm a little surprised at all the hatred for Lobster Random - that one I really enjoyed when it ran; a perfect match of artist and writer, with some geuninely funny lines and clever plotting. Ten Seconders and Detonator X, on the other hand, can definitely get bent.

Frank

Quote from: AlexF on 02 May, 2014, 03:58:46 PM
I couldn't understand why the return of Sam Slade, my favourite series from the Best Of reprints, didn't seem to make sense. Took me many years to realise that it just wasn't very well written; I really thought the problem was with me, and kept re-reading that opening story to make it be good. It never was

That's so poignant. I feel for tiny you.