Main Menu

Some questions about the Judge Dredd universe

Started by Sandman1, 16 November, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 07:07:00 AM
I live in America, Dredd is my favorite comic, Wagner is my favorite writer, etc. I pick up what he's putting down, and I feel overall the populace I share this large country with have as decent odds at it as those in Canada or UK.

And really, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty niche these days in the UK as well. Plus it started in the UK, and the anthology format largely isn't popular in the US. So overall I think the whole generalization that Dredd is "kinda lost" on Americans as you say is yes an ignorant thing, and yes I think it's fair to explain that.

And hey, an American metal band Anthrax wrote "I Am The Law" honoring Dredd back in the 80s.

Again,nobody said 2000AD is outselling Batman.And Im sorry if you took that personally,it wasn't meant like that.
1)To simplify,yes,Judge Dredd just isn't mainstream enough.
2)At least read the argument before you answer to something 5 pages ago,parroting stuff people have already said.

PsychoGoatee

Why do you have an opinion that overall 318+ million people are "kinda lost" on a comic book, and what do you base this on? How would you know the tastes of these readers? And if you don't mean that, then why did you say such? As for reading the topic, I mentioned several times that I have.

And overall, isn't it odd to have an opinion that is "X country doesn't get Y"? I genuinely don't have any opinions of that nature. There are people all over the world reading everything.

And as Tordelback mentioned, this has come up many times over the years. So to me that just adds to how odd it is. In 2016 people are making these huge generalizations.

Smith

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 07:21:57 AM
Why do you have an opinion that overall 318+ million people are "kinda lost" on a comic book, and what do you base this on? How would you know the tastes of these readers? And if you don't mean that, then why did you say such? As for reading the topic, I mentioned several times that I have.

And overall, isn't it odd to have an opinion that is "X country doesn't get Y"? I genuinely don't have any opinions of that nature. There are people all over the world reading everything.

No,you took one thing I said,twisted it upside down and extrapolated everything about me from it.
Do 318+ million people read comics?No,they dont.
Read my previous post.But at this point its pretty obvious your ignoring everyone's answers and just trolling.Or you just feel obliged to show new guys they cant have an opinion different then yours.

Rogue Judge

Speaking of Americans, vot in der name of der cucumber is Strontium Dog? He says things like "I reckon"... Is he American? When reading him speak, I am trying to figure out what kind of accent he has.

PsychoGoatee

Can somebody explain to Smith why having prejudiced views about entire countries of people is not good?

Smith

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 30 November, 2016, 07:29:19 AM
Speaking of Americans, vot in der name of der cucumber is Strontium Dog? He says things like "I reckon"... Is he American? When reading him speak, I am trying to figure out what kind of accent he has.

He was born in Britain.So I guess-mutant accent?  :)

Smith

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 07:30:54 AM
Can somebody explain to Smith why having prejudiced views about entire countries of people is not good?

Oh Grud,you are trolling.
If anything,Im prejudiced against 50-80K comic readers,but a whole country is a bit much. :lol:

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Smith on 30 November, 2016, 07:35:48 AM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 07:30:54 AM

Oh Grud,you are trolling.
If anything,Im prejudiced against 50-80K comic readers,but a whole country is a bit much. :lol:

You said Dredd is kinda lost on Americans. I replied to it, and honestly I don't know why I bothered, you are set in your ignorant bigoted ways. Or if not (I hope not!), then you're the one who's trolling, posting stuff that you don't mean.

But unfortunately, you haven't even rescinded one bit, so it seems you genuinely believe what you said.

Smith

For the 100th time,I don't know how you extrapolated my views from a single sentence about a comic.  :lol:

PsychoGoatee

That sentence is what we're discussing! If you believe what you wrote, it honestly is disgusting to me, that is all.

Smith

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 30 November, 2016, 07:42:29 AM
That sentence is what we're discussing! If you believe what you wrote, it honestly is disgusting to me, that is all.
NOW who is being a bigot?
That JD(and 2000AD as a whole) are very different in style then say Simpsons or South Park?Yes.
And if you see that as hateful,then that's your problem.

Trout

Quote from: Smith on 30 November, 2016, 07:32:30 AM

He's English, in the future, and [spoiler]written as a work of fiction by someone who likes westerns.[/spoiler]

Smith

Quote from: Trout on 30 November, 2016, 07:59:17 AM
Quote from: Smith on 30 November, 2016, 07:32:30 AM

He's English, in the future, and [spoiler]written as a work of fiction by someone who likes westerns.[/spoiler]
Who knew?  ::)

Rogue Judge

Ah thanks, that explains it! Im reading my way through search/destroy files volume one and am digging the western vibes.

Smith

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 30 November, 2016, 08:09:55 AM
Ah thanks, that explains it! Im reading my way through search/destroy files volume one and am digging the western vibes.

You'll get to the Portrait of a Mutant soon and get the whole origin story.