Main Menu

Yes, laugh it up- I need some help...

Started by Matt Timson, 21 January, 2004, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Ok- I have a friend of a friend (actually, he's the ex boyfriend of an ex girlfriend- confusing, I know- best we say friend of a friend) who is srtarting up in business (Video, audio and 3D animation inc. in-house music production.  Promotional DVD's as main media outlet) and he needs a business name.

For some *insane* reason, they've both got it into their heads that I'm some sort of creative type and think that I might be able to help.  Which is where you lot come in.

His name's Stewart Joseph Campbell and he's an ex-professional rugby player- just in case you think this might be helpful in some way.  So far, he's come up with the following names himself:

Vertical Productions
Twisted Prod.
Snazzy Media Prod.
Ash Prod.
The Sheiling Prod.
SJ Productions
Joseph Creations
Echo Creations

And a catchphrase of :

"CHANGING YOUR PERSPECTIVE......."

Now I know that your first instinct is going to be "let's take the piss"- and that's fine (I really wouldn't have it any other way!)- but some helpful suggestions would be really appreciated as well.

Cheers-

Matt

Pffft...

Smiley

Smiley

Wils

'Camp Creations'? ;)

Seriously, though. How about something like 'Prod in the Eye'. I think it sounds quite good, especially when put with the catchphrase.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Whatever you decide, go to

www.companieshouse.gov.uk

and check it isn't the same as or similar to an existing name.

Best not to go get your heart stuck on a name until this is done.

No two companies with the same name will be allowed, even if they operate in different businesses or areas of the country. That said, a single letter or number is sufficient to differentiate two companies.

If they don't want a company, this check should be carried out anyway.

If the chosen name is similar to an existing business' name, especially a company name, then the existing business might be able to argue there is "passing off". This is, crudely, an argument that the new business is causing confusion among customers of the old business and affecting the trade of the old business. The closer the two businesses are geographically, the closer the names (both in spelling and phonetically) and the more similar the business, then the more likely an action would be to succeed. The penalty is usually an interdict (or, if in England, an injuntion) preventing use of the name you have come up with.

Having said all that, if the business is London based and called ABC and is (say) computer programming, and there is an ABC limited in Inverness which is a plumbers then you could probably use a similar name - although there is a residual risk.

Then there is the question: company, partnership, LLP or sole trader? There are tax consequences for each.

Next, who will run it? I WOULD URGE ANY PERSON SETTING UP A BUSINESS TO AVOID A 50/50 PARTNERSHIP, ESPECIALLY IN THE SITUATION WHERE ONE PERSON IS A SPOUSE AND THE OTHER IS MORE SKILLED IN THE FIELD OF THE BUSINESS. This causes problems if there is a break-up, and also has some tax issues if abused.

They can e-mail me if they want more detailed advice.

And anyone else running a business or setting one up or needing legal advice, especially in Scotland, and very especially in Glasgow, who ya gonna call? First consultation always free...

Dr X
(Honest, I am a partner in a firm of solicitors when I'm not here)
Lock up your spoons!

Dudley

El Spurioso

Thie might be a bit random, but I went to uni (film and vid and related stuff) with a chap called Stewart Joseph Campbell - is it the same one?  His folks live in (or near) Bath and he was up until recently working for a small production company in London...  Any link?

Art

Matt Timson

Hmmm...  No idea, Simon.  All I know about him is that he's 32, bald and plays Rugby.  I think he might have done a stint for Leicester Tigers during the recent world cup- on loan from Leeds or something.  I don't know, is the short answer.

Stop confusing me with extra questions- think of a decent company name, you talentless hack!
Pffft...

El Spurioso

Ooh, ooh, I've got a GREAT idea:

"ApparentlyNotMateofSi & Co."

Rolls off the tongue, y'see.

Oddboy

and check it isn't the same as or similar to an existing name.

This is important, because customers *do* get confused.

Like the stupid dumbwit today that paid some other company with a similar sounding name rather then ours.

Better set your phaser to stun.

DavidXBrunt

Wils made a great suggestion. Make a wee change and you get -

Prod in the i

Tadaa!

DavidXBrunt

P.S. if they go for that I think Wils should be hired to design a logo. He's a top artist and that's a great name.

critter

"CHANGING YOUR PERSPECTIVE......."

How about a play on the Matrix. Now I can't remember if it was the blue or red pill.

But hows about "Blue Pill Media" or unless it was the other one that let people see the Matrix then it should be "Red Pill Media"

Will

Buddy

DR. X

For some time now I've been considering starting a business, only delayed until I get a house for myself organised.

Any advice you can pass on or point me in the direction of would be greatly appreciated.