Main Menu

1388 - Mind the ordinance, Marlon!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 06 May, 2004, 12:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Ambivalant towards the cover. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not ringing my bells.

Dredd - Nice fun one parter, more comedy songs - they're spreading from the Meg.

Savage - the secret history of the alternate universe? Or 5 pages of waffle? And the threat of homosexual rape. This'll divide the audience, I'm thinking.

A.H.A.B. - Very well written, equally well drawn. This could be the surprise hit of the offensive, in the same way that the V.C.'s outshone Stronty:Roadhouse, the return of Rogue Trooper and, erm, that other story that was running concurrently. I've blanked it out. Don't remind me.

Low Life - equally well written, drawn even better. We learn more about our star and some of her supporting cast this week. Building up nicely.

Chopper - Building on an excellent start we get some hints as to what Chop is doing in M.C.1, some skysurfing action, and the sight of Dredd beating up an innocent brat. Always good.

Droid Life - Heh. Very funny indeed.

This review has been brought to you by the letters 'W', 'H' and 'Smiths' as in reading it on the shelf.

Max Kon

bit late dave another dave has already started a thread like this

DavidXBrunt

Sorry Max. I'm not a Dave I'm a David.

Sorry Dave, there wasn't a thread when I started this thread.

The Monarch

Thats cool you probably typing your slightly better thread while mines slipped in i'll transfur my thoughts from the thread i started into this one

Anyhoo dredd was a blast from the past consiodoring all the recent bang bang shooty shooty lol.

A.H.A.B I'm not getting into this at all sadly.

Savage: nice to see pat reusing old ideas (something which was mentioned in T.P.O was used in the flashback)

Low Life: again not getting into this sadly.

Chopper: highlight of the prog baby turns out not to be real after all lol and a nice cliffhanging ending.

all in all i'ld say 7 out of ten for me

The cover was brilliant nice to see colin macnail doing chopper again.

dweezil2

Loved the art in this weeks Dredd(and Alan Grant was on form too).Anyone know if David Roach is the same artist who drew some early Anderson stories? If so- it's good to have him back. And can we have him back again soon, please.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bad Andy

I thought the cover was very, very average myself. I thgink I must be coming down with something as I actually laughed at Droid life this week.

Is 2000AD gradually turning into the Megazine? three out of five are Dredd world stories. Has the Megazine over booked?

Like the look of AHAB, Chopper will probably grow on me and I think Savage has been excellently written so far.

I think Lowlife is a non-starter though. The script seems a bit rushed. Fingers crossed I'm wrong. This is the third time I've been sucked back into reading 2000AD - damn the Rico/Dolman storylines!

Smiley

Yeah, it's the same David Roach who drew Anderson and Purity Brown's stories.

Plenty to chew over this week, not least spotting the bits that'll have a few up in arms, but an enjoyable prog all round.

Marbles

Dredd : Ok-ish
Savage : tough one, but on balance, no
AHAB : a definite yes
Low Life : looking good
Chopper : what's not to like ?
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Art

Savage - I think i'll just wipe this episode from my mind and try and enjoy the rest of it, especially the "alternate volgan history".

Bad Andy

Just figured what I dislike about the cover - it feels like a box from the strip blown up to full page size instead of a specially commissioned front page.

Scottiepunk

Krustabi

Droid Life: Hilarious.

Dredd: OK-ish, but somewhat mean spirited, we get that celebrity culture is bad, OK?. Still, quite funny

Savage: We've had two episodes of intrigue and subterfuge, but very little action. USE THE SHOOTAH!!!! I thought the history was laughable but it's nice that it's there

A.H.A.B: I wasn't sure about this one, but if it continues like this then it'll be great. Good establishment of villain

Low Life: Could be better, after last weeks episode, but great art, as with Savage,a slow start but one that sets up for exciting actiony intriguey stuff

Chopper: Brilliant, the right balance of story and whizzy action. The scene where Dredd hits a child could of been too obvious, but it was done well and established him as the clear villain.

Overall: Doesn't have the immediate "wow" factor of last week, but worth reading just for Chopper.

Trout

I liked all of it again.

I can't add much to that, or what I said last week.

It's a damn fine prog!

- Trout

Satanist

I thought this was another great Prog...
Cover : Great art, its just not a great cover (dont know why).

Droid life : As it builds its own world & logic it just gets better & better

Dredd : I'd actually count this as this weeks weakest link & it was still good.

Savage : I really like the art on this and quite liked the way Pat tried to write a new modern history. As for his homosexual remarks I've decided that he's attempting to come out the closet but is so filled with self loathing he is gay bashing himself (Pat that is not Bill).

AHAB : Now this has come from nowhere & this weeks episode has really hit the spot.Loved the way they showed what really happened as AHAB tells it.

Lowlife : Good art but find the story a wee bit predictable, fingers crossed on this one.

Chopper : Smashing.Its just that simple.

Overall a very respectable 8/10
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mr D

Cover : Fantastic in my opinion. I was recently made aware of how great the covers that look like they're part of a story are, and this does just that. It could be a panel in the story. It could also be better, but I like it a lot as it is.

Droid life : Wonderful stuff. Lovely little gag, delivered with great personality. I continue to read this before anything else, not just because it's at the front.

Dredd : Fan-bloody-tastic. It should be in a throwaway manner, but something - maybe the song? - gives it that little bit more.

Savage : Oh god. The worst thing in the prog by a LONG way. Simply because the history stuff was TERRIBLE in my opinion. Still, not too disheartened. I can see it picking up and getting WAY better.

AHAB : Mmm, wonderful. It's just what I hoped it would be but doubted it would. It's a compelling story, inspired by Moby Dick but not tied to it.

Lowlife : I think this could be good, but I really dislike the main character. Just not my sort of character. This might make it harder for me to enjoy.

Chopper : I shall repeat the above comments: Smashing. Its just that simple.
It really is!