Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: JWare on 01 March, 2023, 04:40:59 PM
Quote from: lincnash on 28 February, 2023, 09:09:41 PMI think he's the one with Atomic Jameson Breath.
Careful now, Linc. If you've ever seen the Scots getting touchy over national stereotypes on this board, just consider how many Irish are here, and what bad-tempered sonsabitches we all are.

aye, but you never end up fight each other....
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

No, it takes an Englishman to organize that...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Ochone!

I already knew that Hancock & Co. were an arse-biscuit collective, but it's discouraging to see how much: Matt Hancock: Eight government WhatsApp Covid messages revealed
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

JohnW

Throughout my childhood, my government was a collection of gombeens, gobshites, and tuppenny-haepenny crooks. I got used to it, supposing that it was just the order of things. Now, compared to the arse-biscuit collective, my mob looks almost statesmanlike.
Don't know what sort of a point I'm trying to make here, but it certainly isn't anything heartening.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JohnW

Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

nxylas

Quote from: JWare on 02 March, 2023, 07:43:47 PMIn other news, did anyone here happen to lose 2.3 tonnes of cocaine recently?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/02/bags-of-cocaine-wash-up-on-normandy-coast
Anybody seen Michael Gove buying a Eurostar ticket recently?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

lincnash

The Legendary Shark

It's that damned Namor screwing with my operation.

Don't fret, though, soon he'll be sleeping with the birdies...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Does that involve some sort of helium hat instead of cement socks?
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a massively lesbian gymkhana.

JohnW

Funt Solo

I never thought I'd give a toss about anything Gary Lineker said or did: but now (if I was into hash-tags and what-not), I'd be all like #IStandWithGary

For those not following the story: the BBC is being whipped into submission by the Tories. Lineker criticized the government policy on refugees (which is to drown them, as far as I can tell), and has been told to stop pointing things out. (As has been noted, when he pointed out things about Qatar, it was fine.)

Also, he's being accused of a Godwin's Law style argument - except that comparing Tory rhetoric to Nazi rhetoric (where your enemies are dehumanized in the name of a fictional nationalist ideal) is an apt comparison.

JayzusB.Christ

The government lurches to the far right and demonises minorities to appease xenophobes, but the big scandal is that Gary Lineker said so.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Fate Amenable to Change on 10 March, 2023, 06:55:42 PMI never thought I'd give a toss about anything Gary Lineker said or did: but now (if I was into hash-tags and what-not), I'd be all like #IStandWithGary

For those not following the story: the BBC is being whipped into submission by the Tories. Lineker criticized the government policy on refugees (which is to drown them, as far as I can tell), and has been told to stop pointing things out. (As has been noted, when he pointed out things about Qatar, it was fine.)

Also, he's being accused of a Godwin's Law style argument - except that comparing Tory rhetoric to Nazi rhetoric (where your enemies are dehumanized in the name of a fictional nationalist ideal) is an apt comparison.

Yeah, it's really bad when people get demonized for having opinions. Thank Grud that never happens here.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]