Main Menu

The Wire........

Started by robbycox, 07 April, 2008, 04:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

As Proper Dave has nudged this up again, I thought I'd post.
We have recently finished season 3. It is, without hyperbole, probably the best written television series I have ever seen.
Obviously the standout incident in the series [MASSIVE MASSIVE SPOILER] is [spoiler]the death of Stringer Bell[/spoiler], which was shocking enough in itself, but to have it [spoiler]happen not only off screen[/spoiler], but also [spoiler]between episodes[/spoiler], was simply the most audacious piece of writing I have ever encountered, and was a brilliant way of instantly having the viewer [spoiler]feel the same feelings of being cheated as McNulty was feeling.[/spoiler]

Mudcrab

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 February, 2012, 06:14:13 PM
As Proper Dave has nudged this up again, I thought I'd post.
We have recently finished season 3. It is, without hyperbole, probably the best written television series I have ever seen.
Obviously the standout incident in the series [MASSIVE MASSIVE SPOILER] is [spoiler]the death of Stringer Bell[/spoiler], which was shocking enough in itself, but to have it [spoiler]happen not only off screen[/spoiler], but also [spoiler]between episodes[/spoiler], was simply the most audacious piece of writing I have ever encountered, and was a brilliant way of instantly having the viewer [spoiler]feel the same feelings of being cheated as McNulty was feeling.[/spoiler]

I'll just spoiler tag all of this...

[spoiler]Are you sure you didn't miss an episode? Or the last bit of one? Stringer's death is most definitely on screen, at the end of episode 11 (Middle Ground).[/spoiler]

I'm jealous, you've got 2 more arsom seasons to go!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

satchmo

[spoiler]The bit that gets me every time is when they're in String's apartment and they find his pristine old edition of The Wealth Of Nations. They just didn't have a clue who he really was.[/spoiler]

Season 3 is a masterpiece of storytelling alright, in my opinion though Season 4 is even better.

I wish I could go back in time and watch it for the first time again.

Richmond Clements

Yeah? I must have been looking away! Weird... oh well, any excuse to watch it again!

I, Cosh

I always think of the scene halfway through season 3 where Bunk and Omar meet at the abandoned station as the heart of what The Wire's about.
We never really die.

Pioneer

@Richard - surely you must've fallen asleep??!

Just started season 5, put onto it by a mate (who incidentally is the only guy I've ever kicked around with who also read 2000AD as a nipper, so his tastes and opinions always count in my eyes) a few months ago and haven't looked back since. Never really been one for TV series as don't really enjoy spending too much time in front of the TV, but this really was worth it, amazing stuff.

Regards to it being a slow burner - what you put in you get out, massively. Radiator you should definitely go back in on it!